Q. What steps to take for high urea and creatinine levels?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

My grandfather is 82 years old. He has undergone bypass surgery before 14 years and also done angioplasty last month. He has diabetes and BP. He has a high level of blood urea and creatinine. What are the steps can be taken now? Please suggest.

#

He has a worsening kidney function secondary to hypertension and diabetes. His hemoglobin is low, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it is 7.6 g/dL. I believe that it is low due to kidney failure and he also has a bladder infection. Consult a urologist soon and do these blood tests such as serum iron, ferritin levels, and TIBC (total iron binding capacity).

You can also consult a nephrologist soon, and he also needs subcutaneous erythropoietin during this time. For infection, you can give him tablet Ciprofloxacin 250 mg twice daily for five days. He needs hemodialysis also, and I also recommend getting a fistula now. It would become mature in three to four months, and it helps in the future. Discuss with your cardiologist if the stents are placed, before discontinuing Brilinta (Ticagrelor) and continue taking Aspirin.

| 

How to control creatinine levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 74 year old male. For the past two years I am house-ridden, but not bedridden yet. I feel tired after walking a mere half a kilometer. I walk with the help of a walking stick, because I lose balance while walking. Sometimes I feel orthostatic hypotension. I consulted a cardiol...  Read Full »

Does my echo report indicate any bigger issue?

Query: Hi doctor,I had anterior myocardial infarction five years back, and I was on medications until angiogram and angioplasty were done last year. My last month echo report states, mid anterior septum, anterior wall, and anterolateral wall thinned and hypokinetic. Apical septum, LV apex thinned, and akin...  Read Full »

What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?

Query: Hello Doctor, What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Nephrologist Now