Q. What could cause hand tremor?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 23, 2021

I am a 23-year-old female. Yesterday morning, when I was in the classroom, I picked up my phone from my left hand, and my hand started shaking badly. Then, I kept my hand on the lap, and it stopped. When I picked up my phone again, it happened. I moved my hand a little in case any nerve was pinched, and eventually, within some minutes, it got fine. I am freaked out if it is something like a brain tumor. Sometimes, I get a slight tremor when I hold something or turn pages in the left hand only. Also, my shoulder and hand are paining a little. I am a medical intern, so I did the heel to shin test and finger to nose test. They were normal. I also made my friend check my power, which was also normal. Would you please help me?

#

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms are not related to any neurological disorder. Anxiety, wrong positioning, or compression of a peripheral nerve like a median nerve or ulnar nerve can be the reason for this symptom. The pain goes in favor of possible nerve compression. For example, in the ulnar groove. If the problem persists, I recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical examination and blood tests such as complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels, fasting glucose, and electroneurography. An EEG (electroencephalogram) could also be necessary to exclude possible seizures.

Regarding seizure, as I told you the shaking would stop when I kept the phone and would only start again when I pick it up again. Will seizure stop in midway? I am really freaked out. If it is seizure, then could it be due to some brain lesion?

#

• Yes, you are right. Your symptoms are not typical of a seizure.
  • It seems to be just a transitory motor deficit and probably related to a peripheral nerve compression. So, do not worry.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|