Q. What does it indicate when my T3 and T4 are normal but my TSH is 8. 5?

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 07, 2019

I am a 19-years-old. Recently I checked my thyroid, and the report states that T3 and T4 are normal, but TSH is 8.5. What does that mean? I am skinny and 55 kgs weight. I do not have any past health issues. Please explain this.

Dr. Jennifer Schwartz, Md

#

What was the reason that you had your thyroid checked? Do you have a history of thyroid disease? Have you had your cholesterol checked? The number you provided is consistent with subclinical hypothyroidism. That is a low function of your thyroid that would not account for your low body weight.

We usually do not do anything about these findings except to monitor them. I would recommend that you have your thyroid checked again in one to two years. I also recommend that you have your cholesterol checked and followed if necessary. If you develop any symptoms related to hypothyroidism, then you should see your physician immediately. Symptoms include heat intolerance, changes to your skin or hair, weight gain or loss.

What can be done for gum bleeding associated with choanal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old female and have been suffering from gum bleeding and recently had episodes of posterior choanal bleeding, I was examined by a dentist and ENT surgeon and they could not find any abnormality. I am a hypothyroid patient and I had to stop taking medicine for it due to...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control the TSH level in a diabetic.

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is 67 years of age and my mom is 63 now. I have got general health checkup done for my parents. I am uploading the reports here. Kindly check and let me know if anything needs our immediate attention. Thanks  Read Full »

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now