Q. I had abdominal tuberculosis in the past, and now I have diarrhea and cramps. Is it TB again?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I am a 21-year-old boy. Two and a half years ago, I got so weak by regular diarrhea (that last for six months), before that, my weight dropped to 47 kg. After visiting several doctors, I was finally diagnosed with abdominal tuberculosis. So the doctor started my medications course that lasted for 18 months. From day one of the course, I no longer had diarrhea, and I felt a lot better and gained some weight. Now from the last six months, I am facing diarrhea a lot. I ignored it for a long time, and now it worries me because, for the previous week, I feel weak, and a lot of diarrhea (after every meal) and cramps with abdominal pain, and feel very uncomfortable most of the time. Is it the TB again? Because most of the time, it is because of consuming milk (even in tea), even with soft drinks or spices. I was taking Isoniazid. What should I do?

I am looking forward to hearing from an expert.

#

Well, it does seem to be TB (tuberculosis) again, most probably multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB). So less likely, it is a relapse. If you have a fever and weight loss, similar intensity pain, and diarrhea as it was two and a half years back, you can think of relapse. Secondarily, there are certain abdominal conditions, namely Crohn's disease, that present in the same way as tuberculosis. This should be ruled out by comparative evaluation by seeing the previous reports of yours two and a half years back. The other possible explanation if you have not been losing weight is irritable bowel syndrome, for that you can try Tablet Mebeverine 200 mg twice daily.

| 

What does my child's Mantoux test indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My kid is 2.5 years old. She keeps getting cough and cold every month. She is very sensitive to weather change. We consulted a local doctor and he advised for Mantoux test. The report says that the erythema and induration developed around 18x16 mm area after 48 hours. What does it mean? ...  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?

Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »

Vomiting and Diarrhea

Article Overview: Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms of stomach flu (viral gastroenteritis), but there are many other causes. It is not always serious and gets better in a couple of days. Rest and drinking fluids to prevent dehydration are the only treatment that is needed, but it is not always true. ...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»