Q. How can I reduce the pain around Insulin injection site?

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

I am suffering from type 1 diabetes. My HbA1c is too high. I have been on Insulin for around seven years now, and I am trying to lower it. I have a few questions. I keep getting Insulin bumps and lumps every time I choose the abdomen for an injection site. How can I ensure adequate insulin absorption? Also, how can I reduce the pain produced around injection site? I get morning hypoglycemias very often despite how early my last shot the day before was or how elevated the glucose reading was before going to bed. It is often so extreme that I lose control of my awareness and overeat, causing an acute elevation in blood glucose. How can I control that fluctuation? How can I figure out the suitable Metformin (was prescribed to treat insulin resistance) as well as Insulin dosage for me? How do I identify the causes of my blood glucose elevation if I knew it was not food? I am planning to start going to the gym. How can I use that to my advantage and not the other way around?

#

Let us go step wise just like your concerns.

• The best way for avoiding lumps, bumps, and pain due to repeated Insulin injections is by learning the proper technique for injecting yourself. Please meet a local doctor to learn the same.
  • Also, keep changing the injection sites. You can inject yourself on your hands and thighs as well, after you have used up the area of your abdomen.
  • Morning hypoglycemia means the dosage of Insulin you are taking is exceeding your blood glucose levels. Again, meet a local doctor, who will help you adjust your dosage according to your blood glucose levels so that you do not experience the hypoglycemia attacks.
  • In case you are responding well to Metformin, the Insulin dosage can be lowered as the dosage of Metformin is gradually increased, again in correspondence with your blood glucose levels.
  • Food is the most common source of glucose. But, also are sweetened fruit juices, cakes, pastries, chocolates, energy drinks, aerated drinks, and alcohol. You will have to analyse by yourself, what you consume in excess and can then avoid the same accordingly.
  • Medications are just supportive treatment for diabetes. You must understand that exercise will help your body to utilize glucose, increase insulin secretion and also decrease insulin resistance. This will help you reduce or get off Insulin and maybe lead a more normal life.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|