Q. Kindly suggest a vegetarian diet plan for a type 2 diabetic patient.

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I would like to know vegetarian diet plan for a type 2 diabetes patient. She is a 58 year old female and her blood sugar level is 150. Please suggest.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

You can start by following some basic rules of eating healthy.

• Include raw foods like vegetable salads in the diet. Fruits can be taken in moderation once a day. Avoid fruits with a high glycemic index like grapes, mango and jackfruit.
  • Eat three different types of grain a day and avoid mixing two types of grains in one meal. For example, you can have a wheat based recipe for breakfast, rice based for lunch and finger millet (ragi) based for dinner.
  • Try to eat six to seven small meals instead of three big meals.
  • To get a detailed diet plan, please get back with a detailed blood report of the following tests:
  1. Fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar.
  2. HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin) and lipid profile.
  3. Thyroid function test and renal function test (RFT).

Also, please answer the following questions:

1. Since how many years is she diabetic? What are the medications she is taking?
  2. Any other medical conditions or medicines? If yes, I need details of that too.
  • She need a usual three day diet recall (what she eats throughout the day). She can just write down all the food she eat along with its quantity over the next three days and you can follow up with the details.
  • Also, let me her usual sleep hours and work hours.

Please follow up with these details to get a detailed diet plan to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

What do HbA1c of 8 and fasting glucose of 140 signify?

Query: Hello doctor, My HbA1c is 8 and fasting glucose is 140. My urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio is 116. What do these values mean?  Read Full »

What are the ways to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understan...  Read Full »

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now