Q. Kindly suggest a vegetarian diet plan for a type 2 diabetic patient.

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I would like to know vegetarian diet plan for a type 2 diabetes patient. She is a 58 year old female and her blood sugar level is 150. Please suggest.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

You can start by following some basic rules of eating healthy.

• Include raw foods like vegetable salads in the diet. Fruits can be taken in moderation once a day. Avoid fruits with a high glycemic index like grapes, mango and jackfruit.
  • Eat three different types of grain a day and avoid mixing two types of grains in one meal. For example, you can have a wheat based recipe for breakfast, rice based for lunch and finger millet (ragi) based for dinner.
  • Try to eat six to seven small meals instead of three big meals.
  • To get a detailed diet plan, please get back with a detailed blood report of the following tests:
  1. Fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar.
  2. HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin) and lipid profile.
  3. Thyroid function test and renal function test (RFT).

Also, please answer the following questions:

1. Since how many years is she diabetic? What are the medications she is taking?
  2. Any other medical conditions or medicines? If yes, I need details of that too.
  • She need a usual three day diet recall (what she eats throughout the day). She can just write down all the food she eat along with its quantity over the next three days and you can follow up with the details.
  • Also, let me her usual sleep hours and work hours.

Please follow up with these details to get a detailed diet plan to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|