Q. I feel like something is blocking my hearing in the right ear. Please help.

Dr. Bruce Hudkins
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

My right ear is like something is there, and something is blocking. I cannot hear.

#

Without much more information, I can only point out a few causes that come to mind. Perhaps it would help for me to break it down into two categories:

1. Acute one-sided hearing loss- consider, in descending order of probability- cerumen (ear wax) impaction, eustachian tube dysfunction, foreign body (often an insect), eustachian tube dysfunction (especially if recent severe allergy or sinus symptoms), sudden sensorineural hearing loss (would need an audiogram or tympanogram to tell if this was the case).

2. Chronic one-sided hearing loss- consider, in descending order of probability- low-grade ear canal infection causing swelling, progressive sensorineural hearing loss from genetic cause or, very rarely, a benign tumor on the nerve to the ear, conductive hearing loss from otosclerosis, etc.

There are other, much less common causes, but an examination from an ENT would be able to mostly rule these out and likely give you your actual diagnosis. Consider using an over-the-counter ear wax removal or drops first to see if it is wax. If you can "pop" your ears and relieve the hearing loss, then begin a nasal steroid spray daily for the next four months and continue to pop your ear 5 to 6 times a day until it stays open.

|