Q. Can Unwanted 72 taken within half an hour of unprotected sex prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Six days back, I had unprotected sex and took a tablet Unwanted 72 within half an hour of having sex. Is there any chance of me getting pregnant? Also, I would like to know how many contraceptive pills I need to take?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern and would be happy to help. The sperms have to be released into the vagina of the female to get pregnant. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending on the ovulation pattern. Further, upon successful fertilization, the egg needs to get implanted into the uterus. A female is said to be conceived when all of this happens successfully. Do share your menstrual cycle pattern to assess your chances of getting pregnant.

The emergency contraceptive pill works best when taken as early as possible after having sex. The pill works at three different stages to prevent pregnancy. Firstly, by preventing the release of egg from the ovary; secondly, by thickening the cervical fluid, which prevents fertilization of the egg; and lastly, by making the uterus unsuitable for implantation. I suggest you do not take more pills as it can lead to an excess hormone intake. Also, there can be certain side effects like nausea, headache, fatigue, and spotting about a week to ten days after taking the pill. However, as you had taken the pill at the earliest, you are safe against unplanned pregnancy. Do not worry.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask or share any additional information.

God bless.

|