Q. My 3-year-old son gets croup every year around winter. What to do?

Dr. Prakash Nagar

hi.

my 3 year old son gets croup every year around winter time. the inhalers I have for him hardly work for him what else do I do? he dont have a fever. he had a runny nose and a stuffy nose and a really bad cough. we normally will be able to get it under control with oral steroids. He has been getting croup when he was 6 months old. He has cleft lip and cleft palate.

#

I understand your feelings and preoccupations. Croup can come suddenly & that too more so during night time . Inhalers has no role so its of no use in this condition unless he is also having asthma. For runny nose & stuffy nose - you can use antihistamin like Syp Lorin & nasal drops Otrivin Pediatric nasal drops For croup per se -- steroid are required - specifically Dexamethasone and if he improves with oral dose , its fine , else if the croup is severe or not improving with oral , then take him to hospital for injectable steroids and they will give another nebulizer -- Adrenalin Nebulizer if required . I am happy if I helped you. Best regards.

|