Q. Can UTI cause only left sided abdominal pain and burning sensation on urination?

Dr. Raja Ramesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

I am an 18 year old girl, I am having left abdominal pain and burning sensation on urinating. I did an ultrasound, but it was normal, and no renal stones were found. After few days, I started having pain from the back till the bladder, vomiting, and weakness. So, I got admitted, and they gave me painkiller injections, IV fluids, tablet Levofloxacin 500, tablet Flavoxate, tablet Pantop, and tablet Voveran. I am not discharged still, and I have pain. The doctor diagnosed it as urinary tract infection. Is it really UTI?

#

I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and from what you say, it may be a urinary tract infection.

To rule out urinary tract infection, I would suggest urine culture.

Left sided pain can occur if the left kidney and ureter is infected, with obstruction. From your ultrasound report, there seems to be no obstruction to urine flow from left kidney.

But, ultrasonogram is prone to errors. I would suggest CT KUB (computed tomography of kidneys, ureter, and bladder) for better decision making.

• If CT scan reveals no abnormalities, then it is unlikely to be an urological problem.
  • Alternate causes of left sided abdominal pain are pelvic disease, spinal disease, and colonic diseases.
  • The medications that you are taking looks fine. You can continue them. If there is no improvement, then proceed as advised above.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|