Q. Can UTI cause only left sided abdominal pain and burning sensation on urination?

I am an 18 year old girl, I am having left abdominal pain and burning sensation on urinating. I did an ultrasound, but it was normal, and no renal stones were found. After few days, I started having pain from the back till the bladder, vomiting, and weakness. So, I got admitted, and they gave me painkiller injections, IV fluids, tablet Levofloxacin 500, tablet Flavoxate, tablet Pantop, and tablet Voveran. I am not discharged still, and I have pain. The doctor diagnosed it as urinary tract infection. Is it really UTI?

Dr. Raja Ramesh
MBBS., MS GENERAL SURGERY., MRCSED., MCH UROLOGY
Andrology, Urology

I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and from what you say, it may be a urinary tract infection.

To rule out urinary tract infection, I would suggest urine culture.

Left sided pain can occur if the left kidney and ureter is infected, with obstruction. From your ultrasound report, there seems to be no obstruction to urine flow from left kidney.

But, ultrasonogram is prone to errors. I would suggest CT KUB (computed tomography of kidneys, ureter, and bladder) for better decision making.

• If CT scan reveals no abnormalities, then it is unlikely to be an urological problem.
  • Alternate causes of left sided abdominal pain are pelvic disease, spinal disease, and colonic diseases.
  • The medications that you are taking looks fine. You can continue them. If there is no improvement, then proceed as advised above.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Is Urinary Tract Infection contagious?
Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »

How do we detect kidney stones?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old, fairly healthy female. I have been suffering from kidney stones since the age of 15. Mostly the stones would go away on their own without causing any pain. But in the last seven to eight months, I had been suffering from recurrent UTIs and mild pain in the kidney. Aro...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have got stone problem so early and since you are a recurrent kidney stone former, you need thorough evaluation to prevent further stone episodes. You should collect the stone you pass in urine and do FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy analysis to kn...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I had fever two days ago. Then one day ago started frequent urination and I could not hold it every time it happened. And there was pain during urination. Then started pain in the stomach. Today the urination is not that much but I have severe pain in both sides of my abdomen. I am no...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have kidney or bladder infection or it can be acute urinary tract infection. You get the following tests done: CBC (complete blood count). USG (ultrasound) abdomen and pelvis. Urine routine microscopic examination. As per these reports, the further ma...  Read Full »

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?
Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full »

My Bilirubin total - 2.2, Bilirubin Direct - 1.5, SGPT - 4548, SGOT - 4153
Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »
Dr. Madhankumar M V
Family Physician, General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With these reports, the picture is like hepatitis. The cause for hepatitis has to be investigated. Further lab investigations like complete liver function test (LFT), ultrasound abdomen and viral markers are needed. Also need the date of these posted re...  Read Full »

Can scar reopening after surgery cause urinary problem in hypospadias patient?
My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.
Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?