Login      Sign Up

Q. Can UTI cause only left sided abdominal pain and burning sensation on urination?


Hello doctor,

I am an 18 year old girl, I am having left abdominal pain and burning sensation on urinating. I did an ultrasound, but it was normal, and no renal stones were found. After few days, I started having pain from the back till the bladder, vomiting, and weakness. So, I got admitted, and they gave me painkiller injections, IV fluids, tablet Levofloxacin 500, tablet Flavoxate, tablet Pantop, and tablet Voveran. I am not discharged still, and I have pain. The doctor diagnosed it as urinary tract infection. Is it really UTI?

Related Questions:
Can UTI cause only left sided abdominal pain and burning sensation on urination?
How do we detect kidney stones?
I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.

Dr. Raja Ramesh
Andrology, Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and from what you say, it may be a urinary tract infection.

To rule out urinary tract infection, I would suggest urine culture.

Left sided pain can occur if the left kidney and ureter is infected, with obstruction. From your ultrasound report, there seems to be no obstruction to urine flow from left kidney.

But, ultrasonogram is prone to errors. I would suggest CT KUB (computed tomography of kidneys, ureter, and bladder) for better decision making.

  • If CT scan reveals no abnormalities, then it is unlikely to be an urological problem.
  • Alternate causes of left sided abdominal pain are pelvic disease, spinal disease, and colonic diseases.
  • The medications that you are taking looks fine. You can continue them. If there is no improvement, then proceed as advised above.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Is Urinary Tract Infection contagious?
Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »
Dr. Sumit Srivastava
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated. But, once cleared it should not come back. Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabetes, dehydration, involvement of upper urinary tract, frequent sexual encounters, etc. I would ...  Read Full »
My Bilirubin total - 2.2, Bilirubin Direct - 1.5, SGPT - 4548, SGOT - 4153
Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »
Dr. Madhankumar M V
Family Physician, General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With these reports, the picture is like hepatitis. The cause for hepatitis has to be investigated. Further lab investigations like complete liver function test (LFT), ultrasound abdomen and viral markers are needed. Also need the date of these posted re...  Read Full »
How can kidney stones be detected?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old, fairly healthy female. I have been suffering from kidney stones since the age of 15. Mostly the stones would go away on their own without causing any pain. But in the last seven to eight months, I had been suffering from recurrent UTIs and mild pain in the kidney. Aro...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivekanandan G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have got stone problem so early and since you are a recurrent kidney stone former, you need a thorough evaluation to prevent further stone episodes. You should collect the stone you pass in urine and do FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy analysis ...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

If I use steroid for MS, is it possible to recover fast?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with MS last month. I had severe dizziness before three months, and I got bed bound. The nex ...Read more »
I have prolonged backache, especially after driving. Please advise.
Hello doctor, I am having prolonged backache, especially after driving. I face pain when I stretch and I get a relief w ...Read more »
How to Deal with Stress?
Stress is our body's response to any kind of demand or threat. During stress, certain hormones and chemicals get release ...Read more »