Q. My 1. 4 year old son's urine culture is positive from 3 months of age. Will it cause any harm in the future?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2020

My 16-month-old son had a urine infection when he is three months old. We got him tested with vcug for urine reflux, but it is clear. He is fed with formula milk until now. He used to get only 2-4 pus cells in urine but the culture was positive always. In the seventh month after using homeopathy medicine for the first time the culture report turned out negative. Since then, we never bothered about it because it might be a cause of formula milk which made him urinate frequently, for every 30 minutes in a day. In the night he urinates only three times. Now I just want to ask if he may get any long term problems associated with this. He does not drink much water only formula milk. I could not sense if he has swollen area under eyes and puffed feet because of his chubbiness and he looks chubby normally. I am afraid is it associated with kidney problems.

#

Bilateral reflux disease can present to variable degrees and cause recurrent UTI (urinary tract infection), fever, sepsis, and renal scarring. This can lead to kidney failure. The good thing is your son VCUG (vooiding cystourethography) at three months of age was normal. It means reflux was grade 1. In grade one, it usually resolve by the age of 1 year. But we may never know his current status as after the age of 7 months, he never go tested. The reassuring thing is that he did not get fever. But still, follow up is required.

We need urine analysis, culture, and need serum creatinine level. We need ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder). Please follow up with the requested tests then we can know his current status and follow up plan.

|