Q. I have a swollen lymph node in neck since birth. Is it something serious?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have swollen lymph node on the left back side of the neck. I am not sure from when I have it but I start noticing it from two months. It is not hurting me and my CBC report is normal. I do not have any other symptoms like fever, night sweat or weight loss. I wanted to know is it possible that I have this swollen lymph node from birth or do I need to worry about it?

#

These are subcentimeter lymph nodes which usually are benign and harmless. However, if you develop fever, joint pains, rash, change in appetite, weight loss or night sweats this should be investigated further by biopsy or FNAC (fine .needle aspiration cytology). You can also get a repeat ultrasound in the next six months to follow up on the size of these lymph nodes.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Yesterday I felt some lymph nodes in the groin area. I could feel three small nodes in my inguinal area. I am terrified now because I do not have any infection and I cannot relate these lymph nodes with any of my health condition and I already have subcentimeter cervical lymph nodes. Can you please tell me is it common to feel groin lymph nodes?

#

You may feel groin lymph nodes if you have BMI around 19 to 20 meaning if you are someone with lower body weight. Few questions:

1. How do these lymph nodes feel? Size, character (firm or soft) and do they hurt?
  2. Is it on one side or both?
  3. Do you have overlying skin changes?
  4. Are you sexually active? If yes any penile discharge or rash?
  5. Check under your armpit and let me know if you feel any lymph nodes?
  6. Have you been tested for HIV and infectious mononucleosis?

These answers will allow me to construct a plan for you.

Thanks for your reply. I am actually heavyweight, my BMI is 31. Answers to your questions are:

1. I felt tiny lymph nodes, approximately pea size and movable, it did not hurt.
  2. I feel only one side (right side), in the sameleg have knee pain.
  3. There is no change in overlying skin, these lymph nodes I felt deep inside when I apply pressure if I touch smoothly I cannot feel anything.
  4. Yes, I am sexually active. I do not have any penile discharge or rash.
  5. I checked my armpit and I do not feel any lymph nodes under the arm.
  6. I have been tested for HIV eight months ago and my test results were negative. These tests were done for life insurance policy purpose.
  7. I was having ear infection last week and my ENT told me my eustachian tube was also blocked, I am taking Levofloxacin 500 mg for it. Can this be the reason for my groin lymph nodes?
#

Thank you for answering all the questions. Taking antibiotics should not cause lymph nodes enlargement. You can have lymph nodes under the neck and cheek with an ear infection. In the absence of these symptoms and negative findings on examination, I would suggest simple observation. However, getting scrotal ultrasound would also be appropriate. If you have any signs of fever, weight loss, night sweats or lymph nodes appearing on the other side then they should be biopsied.

|