Q. How do I treat multiple fibroids and prevent miscarriage?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

I got married last year, and I had multiple fibroids detected in the previous year. I recently had one miscarriage after six weeks. The miscarriage can be unknowingly due to fibroids, traveling, dancing, and using the staircase during pregnancy. The fibroids have increased in size with time and due to pregnancy. I do have painful and heavy periods due to fibroids. I also had a polycystic ovarian disease problem and was taking medicine. The last ultrasound report is attached here for your reference. The doctors say that fibroids need to be removed for a successful pregnancy. However, I do not want to go for surgery just for pregnancy. I will be happy if pregnancy can be successful with my current condition. I do not have any diabetes, thyroid, or blood pressure issues. However, I have high triglycerides and was taking medicine a few months ago. I would like to know whether fibroids that I am having can shrink with medicine? Can fibroids shrink in size by controlling diet and weight loss? Should I try for another pregnancy now? Which treatment will you suggest in this case? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I would like to explain that fibroids are hormones sensitive masses that are benign and never get cancerous. One in one lakh may have the risk. The growth of fibroid depends on the estrogen hormones (the female hormone from ovaries). So they will keep growing till you have periods. The only way to stop it from growing is to stop the hormone. It is possible either by pregnancy, no periods for ten months, or with medicine to block the hormones. If you use these medications, you will not ovulate during that time, and you will not get pregnant.

Just having a fibroid is not an indication of the removal of the mass. Fibroids are stone-hard masses, which almost always come in multiple numbers. They need treatment only if they cause any symptoms. Extending into the uterine cavity cause excessive bleeding and severe pain during periods, as the uterus is trying to push out the mass, like a baby. It also causes the excessive vaginal discharge. If it is at the site of baby implantation, it will interfere with the baby's blood flow, causing miscarriage. Also, if any fibroid is more than 5 cm, I suggest it is better to remove it. Medicine is effective if small fibroids of 2-3 cm are seen. A healthy pregnancy is never affected by physical exertion. Diet does not affect fibroids. I suggest you try the newer treatment modality called magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS). It is a non-surgical method to shrink the fibroid using magnetic resonance.

I hope you get well soon.

|