Q. Are my symptoms due to UTI or something else?

Answered by
Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2018

Hello doctor,

I started having UTI symptoms. I also had chills and vomiting. Then the pain started in my lower right quadrant. It feels like a gland is inflamed. I got a bump near my urinary meatus first. I also have a discharge now that started today like that of yeast infection. But now, I have bumps all over. I went to the ER yesterday, where they checked for cysts in my ovaries. They did not find anything. I am having pain while urinating, and a burning sensation. I started taking Keflex three days ago for UTI. Now, I am wondering if there is something else going on, like a yeast infection or an STD.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your post and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • You seem to have an infection involving the urogenital tract, for which an antibiotic has been started which is a bit age-old.
  • I would suggest the following:
  1. Urine examination and a swab culture from your vaginal bump.
  2. A complete blood count to look for systemic manifestations of the infection.
  3. Urine culture and an ultrasonogram of the abdomen.
  • You need to start a better antibiotic, preferably a Quinolone such as Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily as there is no improvement with Cefalexin.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

So, are these bumps related to an infection of my urogenital tract? I have been freaking out that it is herpes even though I am in a long monogamous relationship and have never been given a differential of herpes. My CBC was normal yesterday.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the images you had attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Herpes starts with itching and vaginal pain followed by the development of vesicles in the vaginal area, usually multiple, which are fluid-filled. Your post does not mention such a history and I could not see any vesicles on the images you have posted.
  • If your CBC is normal that means it is a local infection, not a systemic one. So, it should respond to oral Ciprofloxacin.


For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is UTI contagious?

UTI - urinary tract infection caused by Klebsiella takes longer to get treated ... Recurrent UTI could be due to kidney stones, diabete...   Read full

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

.. thickened cord is of questionable importance. Please get your urine analysis also. Idiopathic orchialgia is very common in young people. I suggest you wear scrotal support. The testes carry a spiral muscle called cremaster with them while coming ...   Read full

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection) ... Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI a...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.