Q. What can be done for tenderness, irritation on my bladder, and low-back pain that keeps recurring?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am a 37-year-old female. I have constant pressure, tenderness, and irritation on what is either my bladder or uterus. When I went for urgent care (if my lower back also started to ache), it was assumed a kidney infection or UTI. Urinalysis shows no infection but does find blood. Tapping on my lower back caused pain to radiate to my cervix, which I got checked. But it keeps recurring every couple of months. STD or STI screens were done, and it was clean. Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concern. You are suffering from a urinary tract infection (UTI). I suggest you need three tests to confirm it, namely ultrasound abdomen and urine routine microscopy with culture. Urinalysis is not the definite investigation for the diagnosis of UTI. Urine routine microscopy and urine culture are the best investigations. Urinalysis can miss uncomplicated UTIs, restricted to the genital area only. Once infection reaches the kidneys (complicated UTI), it can be detected on urinalysis. I will suggest starting the following medications:

1) Tablet Martifur MR (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg twice daily for seven days.

2) Tablet Faronem (Faropenem) 200 mg thrice daily for five days.

3) Syrup Alkasol (Disodium hydrogen citrate) two teaspoonfuls thrice daily.

I suggest you discuss the reports with your local physician or with me.

I hope you get well soon.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|