Q. I have symptoms of urinary infection, but no bacteria found in the urine culture. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I am a 22-year-old female. I was suffering from a urinary infection. I took medicines and again, I did a urine culture. I did not have any bacteria but I have symptoms with an urge to pee and a burning sensation in the genitals. I feel like I have to pee all the time. I am depressed. I am experiencing this issue for three to four months. Before a year, I had these symptoms. But I did not pay attention to it and I do not know how to resolve it.

#

I understand your concern. You need to have a thorough physical examination to know the cause of your recurrent urinary tract infection. First of all, improve your water intake. Try to drink atleast three to four liters of water. Having excessive urine after drinking plenty of water helps to flush out the infection from the body. Regarding urine culture, it is advisable to check your urine sample before taking antibiotics. After taking antibiotics, it subsides the infection and it will not show any bacterial growth on the urine culture. You can have a likely chance to develop antibiotics resistance infection due to intake of inappropriate antibiotics. Do an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder X-ray) to know whether you have any kidney or ureteric stones. It can cause repeated infections.

You need to do a urine routine and microscopy, urine culture and sensitivity, ultrasound of the whole abdomen and pelvis, and haemogram.

You can take syrup Citralka (Disodium hydrogen citrate) two teaspoons daily with a half glass of water while having a burning sensation. You can take tablet Urispas (Flavoxate) twice daily after food for five days. You can take antibiotics after getting the results of urine culture and sensitivity reports.

Drink plenty of water. Take atleast three to four liters of water per day.

Have a follow-up at any time.

|