Q. My mother has fever, vomiting, lower stomach pain and cold. Is it due to UTI?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

My mother is having lower stomach pain, vomiting, fever, feeling cold, and not feeling hungry. She took Aciloc 150 and Mucaine gel in the afternoon. After that, she took Sompraz D 40 before having dinner. She took a rice meal at dinner and she vomited it. Then she was given Pantoprazole IV and Paracetamol IV in the night. Now, she is not having fever and she is not feeling hungry. There is mild pain in the stomach with a mild vomiting tendency.

#

Your mother can have a urinary tract infection (UTI) and it needs to be evaluated. Lower abdominal pain, fever, and decreased appetite can be due to symptoms of UTI. Kindly do a urine routine and if it shows the presence of pus cells or bacteria, then she needs to take antibiotics. For the current illness, she can take tablet Domstal (Domperidone) three times daily and she needs to take plenty of fluids. She can continue taking Sompraz 40 (Esomeprazole) twice daily.

We did a urine culture before few days. She had a positive result with Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteria in the urine. She took an antibiotic course and it did not help her. Please prescribe a course of antibiotics.

#

Yes, I can tell the antibiotics. I need some details. Please mention the antibiotics taken by your mother, how long it was taken, and any allergy to antibiotics. Please share the antibiotic sensitivity report.

She took Cefuroxime 500 mg twice daily for five days and it did not help her. She is diabetic for twenty years and she takes Insulin Novomix 50 and tablets for diabetes twice daily. She has a random blood sugar of 210 to 230 mg/dL and it slightly above normal. I am attaching the culture report.

#

She can take Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily after food for seven days along with tablet Rabicap 20 (Rabeprazole) twice daily before food and Capsule Becosules (multivitamin) once daily after food for seven days. She needs to drink plenty of water and it is necessary to keep her blood sugar levels under control. You have not mentioned any allergy to antibiotics. Although it is rare if there is any skin rash noticed after taking these medicines, then it is good to stop them.

Please say whether she can take Sompraz and Domstal. Till now, she does not have any allergic reactions to antibiotics. If it occurs, I will stop her from taking these medicines. In that case, what is the alternative medicine to be given?

#

Stop taking Sompraz for time being. She can take Domstal. If she develops an allergic reaction to Ciprofloxacin, then she can change the antibiotics. In that case, she can take Niftas 100 (Nitrofurantoin) twice daily for seven days although the efficiency is less.

|