Q. Before urine test, shall we start antibiotic for UTI?

Dr. Gunda Srinivas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

My son is 20 months old. He is suffering from UTI. Since yesterday, he cries while urinating in the morning. He has fever for two days and cough and running nose for five days. The general physician gave Cefpodoxime oral syrup, but urine test has to be done tomorrow morning only. Should we start the antibiotic? No pediatrician nearby and we have to drive six hours to another town for the pediatrician. Please suggest me?

#

Crying while voiding urine and fever might be due to urinary tract infection (UTI).

Urine routine and microscopy needs to be done for screening and if it suggests infection, then urine sample for culture and sensitivity needs to be given and oral antibiotics has to be started.

The culture report, which takes two to three days will guide the further use of antibiotics, if any infection positive.

Antibiotics should be started only after giving off a sample for culture and sensitivity, if UTI is suspected.

Giving urine sample for testing after taking antibiotics might alter the test report and delay the infection.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|