Q. Before urine test, shall we start antibiotic for UTI?

Dr. Srinivas Gunda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

My son is 20 months old. He is suffering from UTI. Since yesterday, he cries while urinating in the morning. He has fever for two days and cough and running nose for five days. The general physician gave Cefpodoxime oral syrup, but urine test has to be done tomorrow morning only. Should we start the antibiotic? No pediatrician nearby and we have to drive six hours to another town for the pediatrician. Please suggest me?

Dr. Srinivas Gunda

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Crying while voiding urine and fever might be due to urinary tract infection (UTI).

Urine routine and microscopy needs to be done for screening and if it suggests infection, then urine sample for culture and sensitivity needs to be given and oral antibiotics has to be started.

The culture report, which takes two to three days will guide the further use of antibiotics, if any infection positive.

Antibiotics should be started only after giving off a sample for culture and sensitivity, if UTI is suspected.

Giving urine sample for testing after taking antibiotics might alter the test report and delay the infection.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a mild pain in the right testis since two months. The USG report showed slight thickening of the spermatic cord. Now, after 10 days of antibiotic courses referred by the physician, then the condition is better. But when I lift some weight or drive a car, then the pain starts again...  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now