Q. Is it compulsory for my child to take Menactra vaccine?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2022

My son is 26-months-old. The doctor has advised taking the Menactra vaccine (Sanofi). Though this vaccine is not listed in IAP compulsory immunization schedule, is it necessary to take this? What are its side effects?

#

I understand your concern.

Menactra Vaccine (Meningococcal Vaccine (Group A, C, Y, and W-135)) is given to prevent meningococcal disease.

It is not mentioned in the IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics) compulsory immunization schedule. But in some places where meningococcus is prevalent, this vaccine is generally advised to be administered.

This vaccine has some side effects like low fever, redness or pain at the site of vaccine injection, and irritability. But these are very mild in nature and can occur with other vaccines also.

In my opinion, it would be better if you give the vaccine to the child because meningococcal is a fatal disease, and management is very difficult if the disease occurs in a child.

For more information, consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist.

My 3-year-old son weighs 11.6 kg, and he has had stomach pain since today afternoon. Can Colicaid drops be given? What is the dose? How many times can it be given in a day?

#

I understand your concern.

I suggest you give Cyclopam syrup (Dicyclomine and Simethicone) 4 mL three times a day for one day.

If no improvement is seen within 24 hours, then I suggest you schedule an examination by a doctor.

Take care.

|