Meningitis

Can brain development problems in babies result in convulsions?

Query: Hi doctor, My 9 months old baby had convulsions. We feel that he has crossed eyes, neck moving issues and feeling partial seizures during sleeping alone. I also have a doubt whether there is any brain development problem. Currently, he is on Keppra 100 mg/mL, 1 mL in 12 hours and so to be given twic...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am very sorry to hear about this condition. However, I would like to know some details to help you better. Tell me the birth history of the child. Did the child cry immediately after birth? Has the child required to be kept in NICU for any reason (neonatal inten...  Read Full »

What can cause neutropenia in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby boy is 3.5 months old. When he was 38 days old, he got a fever. I went to the hospital and the doctor said any infant who has fever without any other symptoms may have meningitis and so lumbar puncture was performed. It was positive and the WBC was 570 (clear), monomorph 80% an...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your baby boy probably had viral meningitis looking at the positive WBC and high monomorph along with a negative culture. Now, that he does not have any f...  Read Full »

Can occupational therapy help a child affected by meningitis at birth achieve normal activities?

Query: My 1.5 year boys got meningitis at time of birth..after 21 days of antibiotics he recovered..now he is not yet achived standing and speech..we did MRI.. Impression 1.cystic encephalomalacia changes and gliosis in the bilateral frontal white matter region more on right and exvacuo dukation of the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: If its unfortunate that your son got meningitis at birth.. The MRI findings you have shared is showing damage done to the brain by the infection... If I want to be precise then there is only rare chance for your son to be like normal children... But with physiotherapy we can try to achieve near norm...  Read Full »

How could herpes infection cause clogged ears and hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I have clogged ears and pain from ears to the throat, vertigo, and always feeling confused. I had a sinus nasal drip which I thought that is why my ears where clogged it has been six weeks and it is still clogged, popping and painful. I saw an ENT and he said I had no fluid and there ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from clogged earaches with painful jaw joints and sore throat with vertigo and all these sufferings may result from herpes infection according to your assumption. When herpes affects th...  Read Full »

Why is my throbbing headache getting worse?

Query: hi doc good morning. i have been having really bad headache for 2 weeks now. its a throbbing headache that affects the front and back part of my head. i also notice that it gets worse when i am lying down. there are times i vomitted also. last week i noticed that i have fever for 2 days but the feve...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, good morning headache, vomiting starting with fever is suggestive of infection, we need to rule out meningitis and raised intracranial pressure my questions 1. Do you have blurring of vision or double vision? 2. Do you have neck rigidity? ( you will feel like stiffness and pain in back of ne...  Read Full »

What condition can cause neck stiffness, severe headaches, leg weakness, and hand tingling?

Query: hello sir/madam actually my father has DM ,htn ,psoriasis and psoriasis arthritis. now from some days he has neck stiffness, sudden severe head ache . pain usually start from back of the head or temple side . pain start anytime throungout the day . weakness in leg . hand tingling. walking weaknes...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. The symptoms that you have mentioned in your father suggest towards brain infection or meningitis/encephalitis or cerebral vascular accident/cva which means either a bleeding from the vessels or blockage in the vessels. The good thing is that the most lethal out of the a...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion regarding my daughter's fever treatment. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, My one year old daughter had a fever for four days, with one episode of seizure on the fourth day which lasted less than a minute. There was no post ictal confusion or drowsiness. At first, the doctors started with Ceftriaxone and Amikacin for four days, then a lumbar puncture was don...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. From the symptoms and investigations, your child is most probably having meningitis. The first line of treatment is Ceftriaxone and Amikacin. This covers the most common organism for meningitis at this age. The blood cultu...  Read Full »

What could be causing extreme lymph node pain in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, What could be causing the extreme pains in my lymph nodes under my neck and tingling the in head? Should I see a doctor in person? I had a sinus infection a month ago when the neck pains suddenly appeared. I was given antibiotics. It got rid of my other sinus symptoms, but not the lymph ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The first possibility of meningitis is unlikely. It would cause fever, severe headache and patient will be very sick. I do not think this to be a lymph node pain because lymph nodes will hurt only when they enlarge in a short duration of maximum one or two wee...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to consult rheumatologist for hearing impairment due to meningitis fever?

Query: Hello doctor, I had meningitis fever when I was 7 years old because of which my hearing capacity was lost. I use hearing aids and I can hear from hearing aid, but it is hard to listen. One of the doctors said that I have bones issues, and I need to consult with a rheumatologist. But it is hard for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The main problem with meningitis is that it is an infection which causes irreversible damage. As far as knowledge goes, there are not many cases who benefitted with the hearing. The cochlea is the hearing organ of the human body. It has three partitions filled with flu...  Read Full »

My brother is in coma with fungal meningitis. Will he recover?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother has fungal meningitis and is in a coma. Initially, he responded to the commands, but after him having a tracheostomy and a feeding tube put in him; he is not responding to our words. What do you think? Is there a possibility of recovery? Will he wake up?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fungal meningitis has poor outcome compared to viral or bacterial meningitis. Such fungal infection usually occurs when body immunity is low due to any reason. Sometimes, there may be some permanent cellular level damage to brain cells by such infection. But, do not lo...  Read Full »