Q. Is experiencing vaginal bleeding after a month of medical abortion normal?

Dr. Natasha Bansal

I have had vaginal bleeding for over a month after the medical abortion. I was prescribed Arthrotec, but the bleeding has not stopped. I bled for several days after my abortion, and after ten days, the bleeding stopped a bit for 2 to 3 days, then I started bleeding again. Last week I bled with clots, similar to my periods; therefore, I thought I had my period, but I am still bleeding. What do I do? Is this normal? What can I take to stop bleeding altogether?

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. I would like to know a few things; first of all, was it medical abortion or surgical, and secondly, did you get an ultrasound after the abortion to check for completeness of the process? Irregular and prolonged bleeding is common after abortion, but yes it continuing for more than a month can be worrisome. As sometimes, excessive bleeding with clots can be due to some retained products as well. And also, do you have any other symptoms like pain or abnormal discharge, or fever, as an infection is also a very common cause of prolonged bleeding? Kindly revert with these answers so that I can help you out.

No, I have no symptoms of fever or pain. It was a medical abortion. And I got an ultrasound 15 days after the procedure, and the doctor said there were only a few things left to come out and then prescribed me the Arthtrotec medicine. Is this medicine for the left substances to come out? I just have normal bleeding like a period every day, sometimes heavier, sometimes lighter. Is there a medication I can take to stop bleeding? There was a time, however, when I noticed a fishy smell in the blood and took bacterial vaginosis cream inside my vagina, and the smell stopped.

#

The medicine they have given you previously is for the few remaining bits only. Now even after this, if you have bleeding, then I suggest you get repeat ultrasound done to look for any retained products. Also, now take tablet Methergine (Methylergometrine) 0.125 mg thrice daily for three days after consulting with a specialist and with their consent. This will control your bleeding.

Thank you very much. Will this medicine stop the bleeding? Would it cause any harm to my uterus, right?

#

Yes, this will stop the bleeding, but if bleeding does not stop even after this, that means you need a repeat ultrasound as chances of retained products are there. And it is better if you get it done prior to this medicine as well. No harm to the uterus, but yes just one contraindication of this medicine is high blood pressure, so if your blood pressure remains in the normal range, you can take this medicine.

Do I need a prescription for this medicine? If you could tell me another name of the medicine with the same composition, please.

#

I will tell you the name of the drug so that you can buy any brand of it available. It is Methylergometrine. I think you might need a prescription there, but in this chat, there is no option for me to provide you with a prescription.

Is there a tablet version available? Is there a way you can write the prescription by hand and send me the picture?

#

Yes, you have to take it in tablet form only. In case you need a prescription for the same, please consult a specialist and get the prescription for the drug. There is no option for any attachment here in this chat.

Can you type the prescription then, please? I will show it to the pharmacy.

#

I suggest you consult a specialist and take the below-mentioned medications with their consent. Tablet Methergin (Methylergometrine) 0.125 mg thrice a day for three days.

Ergometrine also works, right? Is it the same medicine from a different brand?

#

Yes it works.

|