Q. What should I do to lift weight without worrying about varicocele?

Dr. Ankush Jairath
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I was currently diagnosed with small varicoceles via an ultrasound. I am a frequent weightlifter, and I worry that the continuation of lifting weights will lead to the varicoceles worsening and affecting my testosterone. My urologist said they are not bad enough for any surgical procedure to be done. Would it be safe for me to lift weights with a jockstrap? What steps should I take to be able to lift weights without worrying about a varicocele killing my testosterone?

Please help.

Weight lifting is my passion, and I will rather be dead than not do it.

#

Yes, you can use scrotal support while doing weight lifting. Varicocele does not affect testosterone levels. What happens in varicocele is that there is dilatation of veins in the scrotum or testes to increase the temperature of the scrotum, and hence sperms become non-viable as the scrotum usually keeps the temperature two degrees lower than the body temperature for better sperm viability. So grade 1 varicocele does not require any specific surgical intervention rather than scrotal support.

Avoid standing for long hours.

Thanks.

Thank you for responding.

I will definitely use support then. But why do so many people say that it does affect testosterone? Is it a myth, or just a rare problem that only happens in isolated circumstances?

#

Yes, It is a myth. I already told you how varicocele affects fertility potential.

Thanks.

|