Q. What shall I do for spider veins and swollen legs?

Answered by
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 60 years old. I am in excellent health. I just had medical checkup and everything fine except cholesterol reading of 320 despite a healthy diet and exercise. My problem is peripheral edema, spider veins and swollen legs, which is often very painful after standing for a long time. In the past, has spent a long time standing at work. I have good shoes and surgical stockings for help. I am not on any medication for this. I have this problem for over five years now. Please help.



Welcome to

I had gone through all the data posted.

  • Regarding cholesterol, I suppose what you have said 302 is total cholesterol. It is elevated, but I need to know two other values like LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level.
  • All the guidelines for starting medications for cholesterol lowering rely on LDL cholesterol. As LDL cholesterol is the one which is bad for the body and reason for heart attacks.
  • Regarding peripheral edema, from the history you have provided about standing for long durations previously and presence of edema and spider veins. It looks more that you are suffering from varicose veins.
  • Varicose veins is a condition where due to defect of valves in veins of lower limb the veins get dilated, tortuous and lower limb may get swollen. There may be blackish pigmentation and itching associated.
  • The swelling usually comes down in the morning and is more prominent by evening.
  • To diagnose this we need to do an ultrasound Doppler of venous system of both the limbs.
  • The management can be medical or surgical. Medical involves the use of compression stockings and elevation of the limb while lying down. The surgical management is stripping of veins and subfascial ligation of perforators. It can be done by laser also.

Revert back with the report details to an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have deranged triglycerides and HDL. Why?

Hi doctor, My cholesterol is 170, triglycerides are 293, HDL 24 and LDL 107, non-HDL cholesterol 143 ...   Read full

I have attached my ultrasound reports. Please advice on it.

You have high cholesterols and mildly increased total bilirubin ...   Read full

What are the measures to get the blood values in control?

I see the cholesterol level to be moderately high ... The cholesterol level is moderately high and for now, you just need lifestyle modifications like dietary restriction of fatty food containing...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.