Q. What shall I do for spider veins and swollen legs?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am 60 years old. I am in excellent health. I just had medical checkup and everything fine except cholesterol reading of 320 despite a healthy diet and exercise. My problem is peripheral edema, spider veins and swollen legs, which is often very painful after standing for a long time. In the past, has spent a long time standing at work. I have good shoes and surgical stockings for help. I am not on any medication for this. I have this problem for over five years now. Please help.

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• Regarding cholesterol, I suppose what you have said 302 is total cholesterol. It is elevated, but I need to know two other values like LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol level.
  • All the guidelines for starting medications for cholesterol lowering rely on LDL cholesterol. As LDL cholesterol is the one which is bad for the body and reason for heart attacks.
  • Regarding peripheral edema, from the history you have provided about standing for long durations previously and presence of edema and spider veins. It looks more that you are suffering from varicose veins.
  • Varicose veins is a condition where due to defect of valves in veins of lower limb the veins get dilated, tortuous and lower limb may get swollen. There may be blackish pigmentation and itching associated.
  • The swelling usually comes down in the morning and is more prominent by evening.
  • To diagnose this we need to do an ultrasound Doppler of venous system of both the limbs.
  • The management can be medical or surgical. Medical involves the use of compression stockings and elevation of the limb while lying down. The surgical management is stripping of veins and subfascial ligation of perforators. It can be done by laser also.

Revert back with the report details to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What diet can be followed to help lower cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a high borderline cholesterol. Can you suggest me a diet chart? I have attached reports herewith.  Read Full »

Are there any problems in my routine health checkup reports?

Query: Hello doctor, I have no issues as such but not feeling fit. I am more concerned about my health. I would like to know whether my routine checkup results are alright or not. I have no symptoms of any kind. I have taken ayurveda treatment for SGPT, SGOT, and high protein. I am attaching my reports fo...  Read Full »

Are medicines necessary for elevated LDL levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 43 years old. I do not smoke or drink, but my food habits are not very good. Recently, I got my blood checked for Apo B/Apo A and the ratio was really bad at 1.6. The triglyceride is around 474 and this rose from 270 around three months back. My HDL is 26, LDL 116 and TC 237. Let...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»