Q. I have body aches, brain-related symptoms, migraines, and neuropathy for five years. Kind help.

Dr. Nupoor Acharya

I have been experiencing strange symptoms for more than five years. It started with pressure in my left side under my rib cage. Soon after that, my feet started burning. This happened suddenly overnight, and I was diagnosed with neuropathy. I started having episodes of flashing lights in my eyes about one month ago. I was diagnosed with optical migraines. I experienced all of these symptoms with random muscle spasms. About six weeks ago, I started having pain in my forearms.

I also feel a vibration in my neck with specific movements. I have had two MRIs of my brain to rule out the abnormality. The only abnormality is a small infarct that happened two years ago. A few months ago, I had a stroke-like episode. I went completely numb on the right side of my body. The CT and MRI were negative for stroke, and there are no lingering effects. I was advised to consult a neurologist and rheumatologist, but I have to wait three more months to get an appointment.

Kindly help.

#

Your symptoms are multisystemic and challenging to fit into one diagnosis. In the absence of specific symptoms and signs seen in rheumatological diseases, diagnosis is a little uncertain. However, an ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) of 119 is very high and certainly a cause for concern. Neuropathy, vague body aches, brain-related symptoms, and very high ESR can be seen in medium to large vessel vasculitis.

Take care.

Thank you for your response.

I am managing my pain with pain medicines. Please suggest anything other than this.

#

I suggest you take oral Prednisolone in moderate doses and see the response after consulting with your primary physician. It might help with the symptoms. You can also check for other signs of vasculitis like rashes, redness of eyes, mouth ulcers, long-standing fever or weight loss, nose bleeds, difficulty hearing, and recurrent abdominal pain.

Thanks.

|