Q. I can walk fast but if I slow down I lose balance. Please advice.

Dr. Aida Quka

I am 70 years old, male. I was in good health, hiked, exercised, ate right. My weight is 175 lb and I am 5'9. A few months ago, I experienced intense vertigo and severe nausea. I was hospitalized for 15+ days where I was tested for meningitis (came back negative), tick born illnesses (negative) and autoimmune disorders. The doctors were not able to diagnose my condition and released me from the hospital. I could barely walk when I was released and lost over 30 lbs (due to constant vomiting while in the hospital). The doctors still have no idea what is wrong. I have now been home for a month's time and I am still having difficulty walking, the vertigo is gone though. My walking/balance seems to get better and worse in the same day. I cannot stand still. I can walk fast but if I slow down I lose my balance. My legs feel like jelly. I am very frustrated and have no idea what this could be. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gained back all the weight and I do feel physically strong as I was before the hospitalization but I am still weak and lose my balance.

#

I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to an inner ear disorder. Have you been checked by an ENT specialist? Have you performed any labyrinthine tests?

Coming to this point, I would recommend avoiding abrupt head movements and take Dimenhydrinate therapy, in order to help reduce vertigo and also nausea. A brain angio MRA is necessary to examine the blood flow to the brain and exclude possible vertebro-basilary insufficiency, which is related to narrowing of these blood vessels. Hope you will find this answer helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

The vertigo is gone. I am now having stability issues especially when walking or standing. What is most upsetting is I spent 15+ days in the hospital, feeling sick and still we do not have any answers. Is there any other plausible diagnosis that could cause the hospital stay, and why I am still not right now?

#

I understand your concern and would explain that many disorders need a long time (even months) to recover, especially when dealing with an inner ear disorder or a neurological condition (stroke, infection, vertebro-basillary insufficiency, infection, etc.).

The diagnostic tests need some days. On the other hand, the therapy does not always make miracles in such disorders.

Anyway, I would like to directly review your performed tests for a more professional opinion, if you can upload them on this site.

Have you been checked for an inner ear disorder by an ENT specialist?

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need.

|