Q. Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, which solved after taking Alerid tablet. Please help.

#

To understand the condition better I need to know the following things.

• Where is the pain? Does she have generalized body pain or any joint pain? Please specify.
  • What is the location of a headache, either forehead or back of the head? How does it improve and when is it more?
  • Is there any vomiting or abdomen pain? Are there any rashes over her body?
  • Have you measured the temperature by thermometer? Is there any cough?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

She has a general body pain. The headache is more on the forehead and back during the afternoon and after school hours. She has more abdominal pain during afternoon and night that is particularly after food. Sometimes, before food she feels nauseous. But, there is no actual vomiting. In the morning and evening, I observed rashes on her body, which are there for only 10 to 15 minutes and vanish away. Also, she has irritation of the same. Her body temperature is not measured. She is feeling chill, but there is no fever or cough. Are these symptoms of dengue? Should we go for any blood test?

#

• Yes, it definitely seems to be a viral illness. Kindly measure the temperature with a thermometer and check for fever.
  • Ask her to drink plenty of water, juices and fluids. I suggest continuing P-250 (Paracetamol) 8 hourly for three days.

1. Complete blood count.
2. Dengue serology.
3. Malarial parasite card test.

Revert back with the test reports to a child health specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|