Q. My husband feels fatigue with disinterest in activities. Why?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Dec 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2019

My husband has been feeling fatigued for the last six months with disinterest in activities. Got his blood tested recently and got some abnormal values. Could you please shed some light? I am attaching his blood test results. Please check those and let me know what is the problem with him.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient ability).

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.

Blood smear appears macrocytic with ovalocytes suggesting vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Few macro platelets are also noted, which is in line with vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. It could be possibly early stages as the hemoglobin level is normal. The lipid profile is a bit abnormal. Weight reduction with diet should be adequate. No medications necessary for now. Repeat after six months to check any improvement. Liver function tests show borderline abnormality. If any specific cause like alcohol or obesity present, it requires correction. Otherwise, not to be worried for now. The thyroid profile is near normal. Nothing to suggest thyroid cause.

Requires improvement of nutrition, particularly vitamin B complex supplements. Also good hydration at least six to eight liters of water per day, along with moderate activities and protein-rich diet are necessary. No particular cause present in the tests conducted for any fatigue.

| 

Why was I prescribed with Folic acid, Glycomet and Oosure for delayed period?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I am trying to conceive for the past one year. Four months back, my period was delayed for 12 days, and so I got a consultation. My doctor advised me to take Folic acid, Oosure and Glycomet without any medical test like an ultrasound, etc. She told to contin...  Read Full »

Is it important to take Folic acid during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently pregnant seven weeks now. I had a missed miscarriage eight months back. I used to drink cheap Folic acid and Pregomega. I drank Pregomega up until the end of the last month. I stopped drinking the cheap Folic acid and started Inofolic on the first of last month. When I c...  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now