Q. In my blood report, what do the elevated levels indicate?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

I visited gastroenterologist for my stomach problems. He carried out blood tests and gastroscopy. The result of gastroscopy was antral gastritis. The medicines caused it and I do not take them anymore. With this problem, I started losing hair and observed brittle nails. Always I feel hungry as the body does not get enough food, despite the fact that I eat two meals more than before gastritis.

The blood results show leukocytes 8.78 (4 - 10), erythrocytes 4.52 (4.1 - 5.1), hemoglobin 139 (123 - 153), hematocrit 0.393 (0.350 - 0.470), MCV 87.0 (81.0 - 94.0), MCH 30.8 (26.0 - 32.0), MCHC H 354 (310 - 350 normal), platelets 365 (140 - 340), serum iron 17.2 (9 - 30.4), serum TIBC 57.6 (49.2 - 75.2), ferritin 22.5 (13.0 - 150.0), vitamin B12 359 (128 - 648) and folic acid 45.40 (6 - 39). I am not taking any supplements.

The biochemical tests are normal. What do the levels that are elevated mean? Am I vitamin B12 deficient, although it is within the normal range? I read that with gastritis there can be less of intrinsic factor, which is important for B12. Thank you very much

#

Based on your query and report, my opinion is as follows:

• MCHC or folic acid elevation has no significance in the absence of other abnormal values.
  • Brittle nails and falling hair signify multiple nutritional deficiencies. A balanced diet including all vitamins and minerals is necessary. Hard to identify what is deficient.
  • Additionally, it might signify previous deficiency, which could have got corrected now. Continue with a balanced diet, and within a month, it should be good.
  • Increased acidity might cause stomach burning and hence, an urge to eat. I suggest proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole for two to three weeks, which will control acidity and hence, the pain.
  • Start on a regular balanced diet. Avoid spicy or sour food. Stress needs to be reduced, and relaxation is vital.
  • As vitamin B12 is normal, there is no reason to worry about the intrinsic factor or other causes.
  • You cannot be deficient with normal vitamin B12. It maybe two to three months back, but not now.
  • At present, the report looks good. There is a need to avoid increasing acidity and take a regular balanced diet.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thank you for the reply. This gastritis is going on for two years now. Why is there still too much stomach acid even after stopped using the medicines which caused gastritis? Why is my stomach still producing too much acid? I am not in stress. How to rebalance that? Can I drink magnesium as I read that it neutralizes acid?

#

Welcome back to cliniq.com.

• Medications are not the only things that cause gastritis. Other than stress, spicy food, irregular food intake, irregular sleep and multiple other factors can cause gastritis.
  • Yes, Magnesium acts as an antacid and is useful in neutralizing acids reducing acidity. It is helpful during the immediate burning pain phase. For a long term, proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole is useful.
  • Pain usually occurs secondary to mucosal damage or ulcer in the stomach. Once it heals, usually pain disappears or is very mild.
  • For the mucosal damage or ulcer to heal, acidity needs to be reduced. So, the above contributing factors for acidity should be reduced. Also, Pantoprazole needs to be taken for a longer term like three to four weeks or more until the pain completely disappears.
  • Any medication unless prescribed should never be taken on an empty stomach. Iron requires acidity for better absorption. However, if side effects are severe, injections can be tried.

|