Q. Can you please recommend a good prenatal vitamin?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2021

I am planning to conceive after a couple of months. I read online that it will be better for me to start taking a prenatal vitamin that contains folic acid 400 to 800 mcg, calcium 250 mg, iron 30 mg, vitamin C 50 mg, zinc 15 mg, copper 2 mg, vitamin B6 2 mg, and vitamin D 400 IU. Considering this, can you please recommend me a good prenatal vitamin?

#

Thanks for writing to us. The only vitamin which is of utmost importance for you to take prenatally is folic acid 5 mg daily or active folate 1 mg daily. You should take for at least three months before conceiving to prevent neurological defects in the baby. This vitamin is also continued throughout the pregnancy to avoid the same. It is given alone or combined with DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) in the initial three months of pregnancy. In later months it is usually combined with iron pills. Nowadays, most of us are usually deficient in vitamin D, which is better to correct in the prenatal period. However, it is advisable to check before starting to take as an overdose may lead to vitamin D toxicity in the body.

Minerals such as zinc are not mandatory to take in the prenatal period. However, it is usually incorporated in multivitamins. My advice is to start plain folic acid like Folvite 5 mg daily after food and continue till you get pregnant. You can also start multivitamins like Bevon once a day; it has almost all the necessary vitamins and minerals and 300 mcg of folic acid. But you need to take folic acid separately as the dose in combined pills is far less than required. I hope my answer helps you and all the best for your future pregnancy. Stay safe. Thank you.

|