Q. Can you please recommend a good prenatal vitamin?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

I am planning to start to try conceiving after a couple of months. I read online that it will be better for me to start taking a prenatal vitamin which contains:

Folic acid — 400 to 800 micrograms Calcium — 250 milligrams Iron — 30 milligrams Vitamin C — 50 milligrams Zinc — 15 milligrams Copper — 2 milligrams Vitamin B6 — 2 milligrams Vitamin D — 400 international units.

Considering this, can you please recommend me a good prenatal vitamin?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

hello

thanks for writing to us

the only vitamin which is of utmost importance for you to take prenatally, is folic acid 5 mg daily or active folate 1 mg daily. it should be taken for at least 3 months prior to conceiving to prevent neurological defects in baby.

This vitamin is also continued throughout pregnancy to prevent the same. it is given alone or in combination with DHA in the initial 3 months of pregnancy. In later months it is usually combined in the iron pills.

now a days most of us are usually deficient in vit D which is better to correct in the pre natal period. how ever it is advisable to check before starting to take.as over dose may lead to vit d toxicity in body.

Minerals such as zinc etc are not mandatory to take in prenatal period. how ever it is usually incorporated in multi vitamins.

my advise for you is to start plain folic acid like folvite 5 mg daily after food and continue till you get pregnant. you can also start multi vitamin like Bevon once a day, it has almost all the necessary vitamins and minerals and also 300 mcg folic acid.

but you need to take folic acid separately as d dose in combined pills is far less than required.

hope my answer helps you all the best for your future pregnancy stay safe thank you.

|