Q. I had a swelling in my chest, which moved to my abdomen, groin and ankle. What should I do?

Dr. Prathap
Published on Sep 08, 2017

I am a 48 year old male. Two months ago, I noticed what felt like a swelling in my chest. It impaired my breathing. It seemed like I could only inhale about half or less of my lung capacity. Over a week, the swelling moved into my abdomen. My stomach began to swell and look distended. After two weeks, it became painful to stand and walk as my stomach would stretch to full capacity. When standing, I look pregnant. The swelling moved down my body causing my groin to puff up like a pillow. Eventually, it went all the way to my ankles. After a month, pain and nausea became normal companions as my abdomen swelled even further. Eating became a challenge, as more and more foods nauseated me. Suddenly one day I became allergic to milk. I used to eat cereal with milk often. But, suddenly milk came right back up. I could not hold it down for more than half an hour. At the same time solid foods, in general, became very irritating to my stomach. This has left me mostly surviving on almond milk and cocoa.

Unfortunately, the liquid diet has its own issue. This swells my stomach painfully. The only relief is to lay on my side in a fetal position. For some reason, this relieves the pressure in my stomach. It might be worth mentioning that, I have had a hernia that has developed over the last half year. I have read somewhere about distended hernias being involved in abdominal issues. The hernia is not painful although it is awkward, as I can push stools out of a pouch beside my groin. I have been suffering from severe agoraphobia for four years, which is why I have not yet gone to a doctor about this. I cannot get anyone in the medical industry to understand the terror leaving my house causes. They all say 'come to my clinic and I will help you.' They do not understand the crippling terror that would cause. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Prathap

#

• This sort of progression of swelling from the abdomen to the groin and then to the ankles is usually seen in liver diseases or due to a local abdomen pathology compressing the inferior vena cava.
  • Sorry to tell you, but it is impossible to find out the exact cause without getting an ultrasound of the abdomen and other tests. So, in spite of your phobia, in order to get a solution for your problem, you need to visit your doctor for an ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis.
  • Even a hernia can cause an obstruction and compression of the inferior vena cava. If it is the cause, you will need to get a hernia surgery. So, go to a doctor and get the tests done.

For more information consult an internal medicine online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have nausea and vomiting every day because of acidity. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem of acidity. It feels like a condition when a woman is going through morning sickness. I am 21 and single, but every morning I feel nausea and cannot eat anything until I throw up. Any slight stress, excitement, or sadness increases acidity that I am not able to eat anyt...  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The root cause for your acidity is stress and please concentrate on the causative factor of stress. If you come to know what is the causative factor, then try to plan how to face or avoid in a non-stressful way. If you are facing problems please consult your neurops...  Read Full

Can I have sex after 13 days of hernia surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I had hiatal hernia surgery and Nissen fundoplication 13 days ago. I did not have sex with my girlfriend for the past 13 days. Would it be fine to make love now? I know that having orgasm put some muscle tension over the abdomen. Will it cause any damage to the stitch?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. I understand your concern. I would not recommend you to go for sex for at least four to six weeks after surgery. You may, however, go for foreplay that does not involve any vigorous pleasure activities. I know this is disheartening, but that is ...  Read Full

I have nausea and burning pain in abdomen. Please provide advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 45 kg, 5 feet one inch. I have nausea, slight pain and burning sensation in upper left abdomen, and discomfort on the left side of the abdomen. I am currently on Dolgina, Librax, Calbo.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The burning pain and nausea with pain are suggestive of viral gastritis or small ulcer. Acidity or acid reflux from that can lead to nausea by irritation of posterior pharynx. I suggest taking Rabeprazole 20 mg OD for a week. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss...  Read Full