Q. My daughter throws up every time she eats. Please help.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Hello doctor,

My 10 year old daughter has been throwing up immediately after eating or drinking anything. This has been going on since the last five days. She has no fever, headache or diarrhea. All the LT, CBP and urine tests are normal. Presently she is on injection Rantac and tablet Pan. She has been advised USG. I am awaiting the results. I have attached her blood reports.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• I have read your query and gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The vomiting could be due to gastritis or food poisoning. As there is no fever or diarrhea, infection is unlikely and food poisoning generally subsides in two to three days, which has not been the case. So, gastritis may be the likely cause.
  • Liver and pancreas related blood tests also have been done and are normal. Hence ultrasound of abdomen will give us a better idea about the cause.
  • Give tab Emeset (Ondansetron) 4 mg 20 minutes before food thrice a day. This will control the vomiting for now. You can continue the Pan (Pantoprazole) tablet. These will work if gastritis is the cause. Avoid spicy food.
  • Please attach the USG report in the follow-up query.

Revert with more information to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Hello doctor,

The ultrasound of abdomen came out normal. An endoscopy was done today, which revealed mild reflux esophagitis.

#

• Mild reflux esophagitis requires a prolonged treatment. I suggest you consult a pediatric gastroenterologist.
  • Small frequent meals would help. Also spicy, oily and junk foods have to be avoided.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|