Q. Small warts are spreading on my face and neck. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Golla
Published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

Small skin warts are spreading on my face and neck drastically. Can you please suggest the cure for this kind of a virus infection? It started one and a half months back. But, I only recently realized that it is multiplying.

Dr. Sandeep Golla

Dermatology Venereology
#

• Avoid shaving until you completely get rid of the virus.
  • Start Zinfate or Zitcare tablets twice daily for three months. It is a pure zinc tablet which boosts up your immunity.
  • I suggest you plan for cryotherapy by a dermatologist. Do not plan for cautery or radiofrequency excision as the chances of recurrence are high.
  • Start using Wartnil lotion (Salicylic acid) on the wart. Use it weekly once. Apply only on the wart for a period of two hours and then wash off with wet cotton. Protect the adjacent skin with Vaseline.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What causes warts on the face?

Skin warts result from an infection of the top layer the skin, which is caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). There are more than hundred types of HPV, among which, only a few cause warts.

2.

How do you get rid of warts on your face naturally?

Always consult a doctor before you try to remove warts at home. Some of the options include:
- Garlic can should be crushed and applied to the wart and should be covered with a bandage. Repeat this every day. Allium sativum found in
garlic has antiviral properties.
- Apply lemon juice diluted with water on the wart. The citric acid in the lemon juice helps destroy the virus.
- It is believed that the enzymes present in pineapple juice, when applied on the wart, may burn it off.
You can also use apple cider vinegar, salicylic acid, and milk of dandelion on the wart.

3.

How does a doctor treat warts on the face?

The following treatment options are available:
- Surgical removal - The wart is snipped using a scalpel.
- Cryosurgery - Liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the wart several times for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Electrocauterization - Electrosurgery and curettage are used to burn and scrap the wart off.

4.

Are warts contagious?

Yes, they are. As warts are caused by HPV, they can spread in the following ways:
- Coming in contact with an infected person.
If warts touch a cut or scratch on your skin.
- Sexual contact.
- If a person with a wart in the finger touches your genitals.
If you scratch a wart on one part of the body and then touch some other part.
- Sharing an infected person’s towel or razor.

5.

How do you stop warts from spreading?

You can prevent warts from spreading by:
- Washing your hands frequently and properly.
- Stay away from people with warts.
- Keeping a cut clean and dry.
- Avoid scratching or shaving over the wart.
- Use disinfectants on surfaces that have come in contact with warts.

6.

What do facial warts look like?

Facial warts are usually filiform or flat. Flat warts are approximately 2 to 4 mm in diameter and are slightly elevated. Filiform warts have finger-like projections on the surface that extend 1 to 2 mm from the skin.

7.

What is the fastest way to get rid of warts?

Surgical excision and electrocauterization are the fastest ways to get rid of warts.

8.

How can I prevent warts on my face?

The following tips can be used to prevent facial warts:
- Clean and disinfect your hand properly before touching your face.
- Avoid scratching a wart on other parts of your body and then touching your face.
- Avoid sharing towels and razors.

9.

What is the best product for wart removal?

Most of the wart removal gels, liquid, and ointment contain salicylic acid. It works by exfoliating the skin until the wart goes off. It has to be applied daily until the wart disappears.

10.

How long do warts last untreated?

Warts can heal on their own, even if left untreated. But, it may take months to years for it to heal.

11.

What happens when a wart turns black?

The wart turning black is a sign that the cells are dying. It usually means that the wart will dry out and fall within 1 to 2 weeks.

Do I need biopsy for genital warts on penile head?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with genital warts on the penile head. I was given Imiquimod cream to be applied for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning on alternate days and then wash off. The treatment went on for two months. Warts became lighter but did not go completely. It is definitely better than b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Imiquimod is good medicine for genital wart. It has to be applied thrice a week for 16 weeks. If you see results with Imiquimod, I would suggest you stick to Imiquimod and complete the full course. Other options for genital wart are Podowart application (Podophyllotoxi...  Read Full

What Should I Do For Facial Warts?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting facial warts again and again at the same place. I go for swimming every day. Is it because of that? I have undergone laser treatment twice and it went away with it. Now, again I have the same problem. What should I do? Is there anything that I can apply as I do not want to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Facial warts occur due to HPV (human papilloma virus) and some people are more susceptible to it due to some complex immunological parameters. They are too notorious to recur and avoid shaving for some time. Also, the probable treatment is electrocautery. Going to...  Read Full

Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, a doctor told me that I had a genital wart. It looked like a flat mole to me. Eventually, it was removed. I want to know if this brown spot I developed recently is also a wart or a symptom of HPV.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Genital wart is caused by a virus, human papillomavirus (HPV). It is contagious, can spread from one person to another and can also spread to surrounding areas of the skin. I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a flat brown...  Read Full