Q. My fiance has noticed a small pink lump on the back of her calf. What could it be?

Dr. Uzzaif U Mansuri
Published on Jul 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2019

My fiance has noticed a small pink lump (probably smaller than a pencil eraser) on the back of her calf. I have attached pictures of the same. She thinks it is only a few months old and may have grown in size to some extent. But she is not sure, and it could have been there longer. It looks like a pimple (or actually two tiny one's side by side) with some reddish outline. It is not painful at all. She does not know about her family history and considers herself medium in terms of skin shade. We are concerned because we read somewhere that the lower leg is the most common spot for a woman to develop a melanoma. We would like to have an opinion on this to know if we should have it checked. Thank you!

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is mostly a wart. Melanoma is generally black in color and is very rarely seen in young age. This lesion of hers has mostly no feature of melanoma. Wart occurs due to one of these reasons say pricking, thorn or from other people if the virus gets into your skin. The virus stays there and slowly grows.

Also, a wart is infectious, i.e., after touching a wart if you touch anywhere else, you can get a wart there too. So the most important advice is "do not touch at all." Wart has to be removed as early as possible before it spreads much. It can be removed by radio frequency cautery which burns the wart and is removed.

Many creams and acids are also there to use, but I consider cautery as the first line of treatment, as chances of recurrence are less with it and the wart is removed in one sitting. I advise her to get it removed by cautery as early as possible.

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full »

Do genital warts appear above the pubic area?

Query: Hi doctor, Do genital warts appear above the pubic area? I have attached the picture for your reference.  Read Full »