Q. How long does it take for the uterine lining to thicken after weaning?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

I exclusively breastfed for 17 months, while trying to conceive a handful of times. I believe that I conceived, but implantation failed. My gynecologist suggested to wean and then try, and maybe my uterine lining needed to be thickened. I weaned two months ago, and so far both cycles have ended with a period, which was normal 26 to 28 days cycle. I believe, after the 14 days luteal phase, I have conceived because after every time we try, I get nausea along with pregnancy discharge and other pregnancy symptoms. But, then implantation does not sustain and my period comes. I am wondering if you think this is an implantation issue due to the thin uterine lining, is from breastfeeding or something else? And if yes, how long does it take for your lining to thicken? I do not want to keep putting myself through this again and again.

#

• Please get a scan done around the ovulation time, to rule out the exact cause.
  • This will help us know where exactly things are going wrong. Get started with Folic acid supplements.

Do get back to me with reports, so that I can guide you further.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you much for your reply. Do you want me to get a scan done around ovulation to see if I am ovulating, or to check for something else like a fibroid? Because it was mentioned four years ago, that I had one fibroid, but the gynecologist at the time was not concerned. I did have a 21-day test, and it came back 5.2. So, I believe I am ovulating. I am also on prenatal medicine, 1 mg of Folic acid. Do you know how long it takes for the lining to rethicken after weaning?

#

Try taking Folic acid 5 mg, once daily, after consulting your doctor. 1 mg of Folic acid is not the sufficient.

I am asking you for a scan around the ovulation period if you can get a follicular study done, even better because both the ovulation time, corpus luteal rupture, and endometrial thickness can be noted clearly.

Usually, it takes 3 to 4 months for the lining to form after weaning.

Regarding your fibroid which your gynecologist was previously not concerned is because it could have been very small and must not be interfering in any way.

If at all you still have a fibroid, that doubt will be cleared too. You are ovulating, just that the scan will help us plan better.

Thank you for the detailed information on having a scan, that really helps. Is 1 mg Folic acid not enough? I have attached a picture of all the medicines that I am taking.

#

I have seen you medications photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Along with that, please add Folic acid 5 mg.
  • Those vitamins also you can continue, but the Folic acid dose is not sufficient. There are many brands of Folic acid supplements with 5 mg.

Once the scan is done, get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|