Q. I am diabetic and constantly losing weight. How to manage it?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a type 2 diabetic for four years. I was diagnosed at a very high level (520) and have been on a low carbohydrate diet ever since and managing it. I have lost all my body fat and at 6 % body fat right now. I take 1000 mg Metformin once a day and Farxiga once a day. My goal is to gain fatback, but I keep losing weight. I need help with this.

Do you have a question on Weight Loss or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

Metformin is weight neutral or may cause mild weight loss. Fargixa, which is Dapagliflozin, causes weight loss and some dehydration. So you can omit Fargixa, and take Sitagliptin, Metformin combination, e.g. Janumet XR 50/1000 once a day. Try the suggested regimen and see whether you can gain back some weight in a few months. Otherwise, you have to switch over to Sulfonurea or Insulin which have much higher risk hypoglycemia, though less so if adequately adjusted.

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?
Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. No, it is not advisable to eat carbohydrate and sugar for at least 60 minutes after taking a growth hormone shot. The more carbohydrate you consume, the higher your blood sugar will raise, which then set off insulin production. Insulin and ...  Read Full

Will my kidney stone escalate my issues of high BP and diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male. I have a high blood pressure since five years and type 2 diabetes mellitus since two years. I had a master health checkup last week. My reports showed serum albumin at 3.2, total protein at 5.8, and globulin at 2.6. The urine analysis report and the X-ray an...  Read Full >>
Dr. Sandeep Varma
Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is clear that apart from serum protein and albumin, all other parameters look normal. However, even these values are not grossly abnormal. As you may be knowing, the liver is the site of productio...  Read Full

Why am I having an increase in alkaline phosphatase level?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 36 years old, male, 6'1", 265 lbs. I have a question about total bilirubin. I had it checked four weeks ago and it was at .41 mg/dl and one month later it jumped to .82 mg/dl. My alkaline phosphatase is at 1.173 ukat/l and four weeks ago was at 1.003 ukat/l. The doctor was not conc...  Read Full >>
Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since this question was posted under diabetology, I am wondering if you have any endocrine issues. The question asked here is about gastroenterology. The liver tests would be concerning for a liver process like gallstone if the enzymes were not coming back down or if...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now