Q. Can I take two doses of Wellbutrin 150 mg to match up 300 mg dose?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Dec 10, 2019

I am currently on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg per I am going to put up to 300 mg before I do so. Our pharmacy is currently out of 300 mg. They do have a generic brand which I do not like. In cases such as this, is it fine to take 2 doses of the 150 mg to make up the 300 mg? Or is that not possible?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Wellbutrin XL ( Bupropion XL) can be increased to 300 mg XL once daily in the morning after you have been taking Wellbutrin XL for at least four days. The dose has to be increased gradually to minimize the risk of side effects like seizures.

If Wellbutrin XL 300 mg is not available in the pharmacy, you can potentially take two doses of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, taken together as once daily in the morning (giving you an effective dose of 300 mg once daily). Both pills should be swallowed as a whole and not crushed or chewed. You can switch to Wellbutrin XL 300 mg once it becomes available.

Another easier option will be to try generic Bupropion XL 300 mg tablets as they contain the same active ingredient. I note that you mentioned you do not like it. Is it the medication effect or taste which is not to your liking? If you feel strongly against the generic version, you can take Wellbutrin XL preparation itself.

Whichever option you choose, kindly discuss with your prescribing doctor as some pharmacies will not dispense unless the preparation and dosage are clearly mentioned in the prescription. It is important to have regular follow-ups with your prescribing doctor once the dosage is increased so that benefits and any potential side effects can be monitored.

| 

I have been on 150 mg for eight months now and we have been discussing increasing it to 300 mg. The generic I did try, and it made me very nauseous for some reason. I am not very good at swallowing larger pills. The Wellbutrin is small enough to tolerate. I am hoping 300 mg becomes available so I do not have to take two at once. But if not I guess I will have to until it does.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Your clarification makes things clearer. If you are not able to tolerate the generic version, it is better to go with Wellbutrin XL as discussed earlier.

| 

I am taking Risperidone along with Wellbutrin. Would not these cancel each other out?

Query: Hi doctor, I had two psychotic episodes last year and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I have recently prescribed Risperidone (1 mg) in combination with Wellbutrin (150 mg). One is a dopamine blocker while the other is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Would not these cancel each other o...  Read Full »

I have been diagnosed with dysthymia depression. Kindly prescribe the medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I love myself and think I am a great guy, but feel no one else sees that. I have feelings of pending failure, feelings of inadequacy, fear of rejection, fear of police, fear of persecution, lots of mental ambition but no energy to actually do anything because I am convinced I would fa...  Read Full »