iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologywhite blood cellsWhat symptoms occur when WBC is 3.7?

What is your opinion about the slightly low WBC count?

What is your opinion about the slightly low WBC count?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 7, 2017
Reviewed AtJanuary 5, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone off the medication. The BP is under control through a vegan diet and exercise. I am a 46-year-old female with 150 lbs weight and 5 feet 6 inches in height. I have no symptoms and feel very well. What is your opinion on the slightly low WBC count? If you would look over my blood work, I would appreciate it.

Answered by Dr. Prakash. H. M.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

  1. WBC (white blood cell) count varies with time of collection, method of collection and methods of counting.
  2. If there is large variation like less than 1500, then we should worry. The value of 3700 is a very mild variation to be worried about.
  3. This count will improve over time, and also, as there is no infection or inflammation at present, the body will not be responding with increasing WBC count.
  4. At present, there is nothing to worry. Everything is good. Take a diet rich in proteins and vitamin B12. Nothing else necessary as all reports are good.

Treatment plan

Protein and vitamin B12 rich diet. Repeat your blood test after a month and if the count falls less than 2000, then further evaluation is necessary.

Patient's Query

Thank you very much doctor.

Answered by Dr. Prakash. H. M.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Do continue the same and concentrate on diet and exercise. Repeat the test and if abnormal, then do get back.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Prakash. H. M.
Dr. Prakash. H. M.


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy