Q. My baby has flaky white patches on forehead. What can it be?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Feb 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2019

My baby is four months old. He has white patches on his forehead and around his eyes. They are flaky and little skin peels off. I am much worried. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

It may be due to seborrheic dermatitis (itchy red rash with flaky scales) or atopic dermatitis or simple dryness. Please consult a dermatologist for examination and management. Use mild soap or cleanser for face wash. You can also use a moisturizer.

Please can you check the photos of my baby and suggest treatment accordingly.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

I had a look at the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It may be due to allergy or dryness.

1. Please avoid any eyeliners, cosmetics, powders, etc. If skin is too dry, avoid powders and other irritants.
  2. Use mild soaps or moisturizing soaps or Cetaphil cleanser.
  3. After bath use moisturizing cream and in evening you may use Ponds cold cream or Cetraben or Emoderm cream.
  4. If needed mild topical steroids such as Eumosone (Clobetasol) can be used after consulting your doctor.

Thank you doctor.

Is this normal or something to worry? Will it get cured? I am much worried about the baby. It also seems to spread. Are there any chances of other skin disorder?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

It is not a serious disease to worry. It will subside. But, there are chances of recurrence depending on whether it is due to allergy or irritation. See that there is no irritation. Consult your dermatologist if it does not subside.

I have a nevus on my scalp. Is that sebaceous nevi?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old male. I went to a dermatologist, and he examined my condition. The doctor told me that I have sebaceous nevi of the scalp. But I am unable to agree with it. I have read that sebaceous nevi are hairless. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query and examined your given picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please say whether you have this problem from birth. You are right, most of the sebaceous nevus are hairless. But nevus which reaches the hair-bearing areas o...  Read Full

I have throat dryness and difficulty in breathing. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old female, 42 kg weight 5'3" height. I have been having a throat dryness and difficulty in breathing and also an abdominal pain. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your workup has to be done as follow:Auscultation.Posterior pharynx examination.CBC.If throat congestion is present than decongestant like Levocetirizine can be prescribed for that. For dyspnea, CBC will rule out anemia if present and it will also help in abnormal respir...  Read Full