Q. My partner has severe wisdom tooth pain with facial swelling. Please help.

Dr. Vijay Rajendran
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

My partner is having a lot of pain in his wisdom tooth. I guess he is getting it but his whole mouth got swelling and he is not even able to talk. He is having fever also now and the pain is not bearable. What should we do right now as none of the doctors are available?

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

Dentistry Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

Your wisdom tooth got infection, so there is pain and swelling. The infection is spreading that is why you have restricted mouth opening and facial swelling. Better start with high dose antibiotics and pain killer temporarily. It will be easier for me to give correct treatment if you send an image of your face and involved teeth.

| 

The wisdom teeth have not come out, until now it is not visible.

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

#

I have seen the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is exactly pterygomandibular space infection. It is common for this age. During eruption time this type of swelling is common. Do lukewarm water gargling with salt and turmeric. Take the following medication twice daily for three days.

Tablet Moxclav (Amoxicillina and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg (if not allergic to penicillin) or tablet Olfloren-OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole), tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol), and Pan 40 (Pantoprazole).

| 

I have attached a video for your reference.

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

#

I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, exactly it is pterygomandibular space infection. Please follow my instructions, if you have any doubt you can book a call.

| 

Actually, he is not able to speak so cannot take a call. But I just want to ask will it be fine with three days of medicines only? Will his pain and swelling go away? And is this infection common or is it serious? Do we need to take sone further actions to this problem? Please suggest.

Dr. Vijay Rajendran

#

It is better to take tablets for five days. This is quite a common problem during wisdom teeth eruption. If the swelling does not resolve in five days it is better to consult the maxillofacial surgeon.

|