Q. Does withdrawal bleeding happen if a contraceptive pill is taken taken within 26 hours after unprotected sex?

Dr. Natasha Bansal

I have had unprotected sex, but not sure if he had ejaculated or not. He did not ejaculate. I have had an i-pill within 26 hours and the 14th day of my cycle. Will withdrawal bleeding happen? Please suggest.

#

Do not worry; if you have taken the i-pill, then the chances of pregnancy are almost nill. Withdrawal bleeding usually does not occur after an i-pill. So just wait for your normal periods.

And periods can be delayed for 1 to 2 cycles due to i-pill, so do not take stress about it. Just get a urine pregnancy test in case of delayed periods, and nothing has to be done if negative.

Thank you for the reply.

#

And if your periods will be delayed beyond 35 days and your urine pregnancy test is negative, then we can give you medicine to induce periods.

Is it almost sure that there will be no pregnancy and no withdrawal bleeding will happen? How much delay can be there in a period?

#

So, for now, do not take stress as nothing can be done at present. You have taken an i-pill. This is the most one can do after unprotected sexual intercourse. Wait for periods, and further management will be done accordingly. Chances of pregnancy are very low because he did not ejaculate inside you, plus you took the i-pill within 72 hours, but we can not be certain until you get your periods. I-pill leads to irregular bleeding or delayed cycle, which can not be predicted as the response is different in every patient. Just wait till 35 days, and if you do not get your periods till then, take a urine pregnancy test, and if negative, medicine can be given to induce periods.

|