Q. Are clear discharge and redness in the wound edges after seven days of arthroscopy alarming?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I had a knee arthroscopy about seven days ago, and I am worried about the wounds. The sutures did not close the wound entirely, and there is a small gap of 3 to 4 mm.

Today, I noticed the wound area to be wet with a clear discharge. Also, the edges of the wound seem to be quite red. I am currently on Naproxen and Enoxaparin.

My query is that anything wrong with this wound?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern, and I will help you with it.

I have seen the attached images you have sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Do not worry; there is nothing wrong with the wound, and sutures have been appropriately given.

Such discharge is due to wound contraction and is not worrisome if it is in small amounts. It is a sign of wound healing. The edges are red due to inflammation, and there is active healing occurring.

I suggest you taking the antibiotic Amoxiclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) thrice daily for five days as a precautionary measure to prevent infection and a probiotic tablet with lactobacillus acidophilus to maintain gut flora while on antibiotics.

Take care and all the best.

|