Q. My left wrist pains on lifting weight. Why?

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

Recently, I am experiencing pain in my left wrist whenever I carry weight. At first, I presumed it was too much weight so I lowered the weight, but my left wrist continues to have pain. I tested using different things such as posture and time length, but the pain continues. I am trying to see any diagnosis for this, so that I may approach it the correct way.

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Left wrist pain can be due to many reasons at your age.

1. Mechanical pain / soft tissue rheumatism, usually occurs around one point of joint and not diffuse around joints. It is activity related like it occurs only after activity or in some certain specific work or posture but not at rest. Rest decreases pain or you may not feel any pain.

2. Inflammatory pain, where the pain is maximum at rest, or night or in the early morning. After activity, there is some decrease in pain. It is usually associated with swelling or warmth in joints or redness.

3. Infective pain due to some infections inside the joint (rare cause).

A detailed clinical history and examination is required followed by some tests to confirm the nature or classification of your pain. The management will be guided based on your nature or cause of pain.

Until then,

1. Avoid excessive use of wrist joint.

2. Use wrist splint for two weeks.

3. Use alternate local hot or ice compression of the wrist joint.

4. Local painkiller gel can be applied.

5. Painkiller tablets on sos basis.

Consult a rheumatologist if it persists.

|