Q. What are the symptoms of concern after swallowing a piece of chicken bone?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I guess I swallowed a piece of chicken bone one month ago. I am having on and off pain in my abdomen with no other severe symptoms. I already have gastritis and IBS. If I have swallowed a bony piece, could it be left without any symptoms? Is it cornering?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had swallowed a chicken bone one month ago, and you want to know if the swallowed chicken bone can cause bowel proliferation.

Chicken bone ingestion is a common incidence that may easily pass through the bowel without causing any further complications. Only less than 1% of chicken bone ingestion may cause bowel perforation. Patients with ingested chicken bone may show complications like perforation, abscess formation, or obstruction with clinical features of severe abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting for several days after ingestion. It is difficult to predict the exact time frame of when the ingested chicken bone will produce complications or clinical features.

One month has already gone by, and you are still free from the symptoms mentioned above except for mild abdominal discomfort or pain that is on-off. Your mild abdominal pain may result from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or gastritis. So, the ingested chicken bone might have passed through the bowel.

If you still have doubts, I suggest you take abdominal ultrasound or CT (computed tomography) to check for the presence of the foreign body.

Take care.

|