Q. I have foreign body sensation in my throat. Can it be GERD?

Answered by
Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2020

I have a foreign body sensation in my throat, sometimes its like a compression or squeezing in my throat. Usually at night when i lay down. I have no other symptoms, my breathing is fine, heart rate and blood pressure is normal, I have been taking omeprazole 20mg once a day for almost 2 weeks under the assumption it was GERD, the symptoms seem to subside when I eat. However they trigger a few hours after eating.



Your prediction is almost as right as what I am also considering. The most common reason of having this irritation in throat with a feeling of lump or something obstructing while swallowing can definelty be a feature of chronic GERD. Eve though you might asymptomatic in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

What can be done? (these precautionary measures have to followed for life since your chronically have gastric issues)

1. Maintain a strict diet, eating on time

2. avoid spicy oily and cold food/drinks

3. Keep a gap of 2 hrs between meals and going to bed

4. Don't over eat, rather keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh cut fruits in between major meals.

5. Salt water gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days

6. Avoid alcohol and smoking

7. Follow the prescription as adviced and you can come for a follow up consultation after 2 weeks

Treatment plan: Tab Pan d 40 MG once in the morning before bfast for 14 days

Syp Mucaine gel 1 tsp three times a day 20mins before meals for 14 days

Make sure you follow the precautions as mere medicines won't fetch long term benefit as this is a difficult entity to treat. Hope I have answered your query. Warm regards

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) curable permanently through medicines?

Query: Dear Doctor, Is GERD curable through medicines permanently? If yes, kindly prescribe the medicines. I have consulted many doctors and taken tablets, but after a few days it is troubling again. Please prescribe some permanent solution to this.  Read Full »

Can trivial mitral regurgitation worsen in future?

Query: Hello doctor, I just recently had an echocardiogram. The result was normal. The only finding was trivial regurgitation of my mitral valve. I was told this is normal. The question I have is, is this something that could get worse over time? If so, what lifestyle changes can I make now to prevent tha...  Read Full »

My wife is a kidney patient and on Pantoprazole for stomach issues. Is it harmful to the kidneys?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is a kidney patient and she has acid reflux, which causes chest tightness and feels like a lump in the throat. She was given GI cocktail and feels some relief. Later they prescribed Prantopozole 40 mg. We are wondering whether she can try Pepcid or Gelusil or Prilosec as we a...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.