Q. I have severe abdominal pain with 9 mm gallstones. What should I do now?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

I am 62 years old. A week back, I had severe abdomen pain so I took an ultrasound. The report says I have 9 mm size gallstone. I have also checked my lipid profile which are normal. I request you kindly suggest further action required. I am currently taking Lipicard.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have to have more information about this pain before I can tell you what is the cause of this pain.

Usually, the gall bladder stone of such size (less than 10 mm) in size does not cause pain, and if it does, then the pain has to be characteristic one like pain starts within half hour of meals and gradually increases in intensity within next 1 hour and then start declining for the next three to six hours. Vomiting can occur with increased severity of the pain. If you have any of symptoms as mentioned, then it is possible that pain is coming from gall bladder stones, and the definitive treatment is cholecystectomy i.e. removal of the gall bladder.

Again, I want to emphasize that most of the stones of such size usually do not cause pain and remain asymptomatic doing no harm to the patient throughout their life. The other cause of sudden and severe abdominal pain are ulcers within the stomach, food pipe or small bowel, inflammation of the pancreas called pancreatitis, diabetes and its complications, lead poisoning, drugs such as pain killers, and few other causes. Your lipid profile is normal, and ultrasound is otherwise normal except that stones which are clearly visible.

You can start capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals, it will resolve the pain if coming from ulcers in the stomach. However, I highly recommend you to provide more information regarding your problem as I can be in a good position to diagnose and tell you what to do.

Peptic ulcer disease. ? symptomatic gall bladder stone. Pancreatitis. Drug-related functional pain.

Complete blood count. Serum amylase, lipase, calcium, BUN, creatinine, and electrolytes. Stool for H.pylori antigen.

Pancreatitis. Drug related. Lead poisoing.

Peptic ulcer disease. Asymptomatic gallstones.

Capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals once daily.

Follow up to provide more information about the pain.

| 

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had abdominal pain for five months. It is mainly under the right side ribs along the right flank. I also have some pain on the left. I feel gassy and bloated. The stomach makes some crazy noises. I was constipated for a few months, but now I have constant diarrhea. I am going to ...  Read Full »

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »

What causes oil in stools?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having digestive issues for some time, gotten a bit worse. Symptoms: bowel bloating and pain after meals or sometimes on empty stomach middle of the night, mornings, acid reflux with everything I eat, I eat purely healthy, puree my veggies and small amounts of chicken, eggs, salmon...  Read Full »