Q. Why are my periods heavy and painful after abortion?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am having an issue. Now I had an abortion two months back when I was just a couple days past two months.

Now since I did that, my periods have been heavy and very painful. Also, I keep having pelvic pain and sometimes stomach pain.

Could I please get some advice on what might be the issue? I did visit a gynecologist in my area.

However, he did not do much of a check-up. Just gave me some medicines for BV and that is it. Please help.

#

It would be better if you could send me your detailed gynecology, obstetrics, medical, and drug history.

Have healthy habits like daily exercise, walk, yoga and a healthy nutritious diet with less salt, sugar, oil and spice. Have a soft diet and complete check-up and treatment of any health issue if you have.

Try to quit recreational drugs if you have been taking and have nice recreational activities. Have folic acid daily 0.4 mg if not having any chronic disease like diabetes, epilepsy, etc.

Have one consultation with a physiotherapist to have relief exercises for pain management. Warm water bath, swimming, yoga, physiotherapy, a walk can help many local symptoms.

Try to have normal BMI and weight by exercise. For heavy periods check for its regularity as well. If irregular periods with weight gain, abnormal hair growth, and weight gain, you need a transvaginal scan and on the second day of periods, blood sex hormones investigations.

For heavy periods, you can have tablet Postan 500 mg eight hourly and tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg eight hourly for 3 to 5 days from day two of periods. These will not only reduce pain but also bleeding.

Have iron supplements and iron filled diet to reduce the risk of anemia. For conception, have sex in the fertile period of the cycle.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I took two pregnancy tests. One was positive and the other negative. Can you help?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I amhyperthyroidand I havepolycystic ovaries. I had my period for just one day last month. It was very light. I, however, took two pregnancy tests two days ago. The first one read positive and the second, which was taken a few hours after read negative. Could you pleas...  Read Full »

My wife underwent ICSI. Please go through the reports and provide your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone ICSI three-day embryo transfer. One cell is compact grade and others are grade-B. She got pregnant successfully and the values were at DPT 14, HCG 577 and progesterone level 23 and DPT 16, HCG 1577 and progesterone level 23. Also, she had undergone TVS, and spo...  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»