Q. Can abscess be closed with sutures after drainage?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Oct 27, 2019

I had a boil on my left labia, and I had that same boil for 2 years, because my doctor was saying it will go away. But, it did not, and last week I went to hospital and the doctor drained the boil with anesthesia, and then he closed it with stitches, now it is still hard and smells like pus. So my question is why he closed it with stitches? Is that ok? Because the incision was small (1 cm), should it be left open to completely drain? Can I still have abscess left? I asked the doctor and he is saying everything is fine. I am so scared, I would appreciate if anyone can help.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I totally agree with you. After draining a boil the doctor should have not closed the skin with stitches because how much ever adequately anybody drains the pus, some pus will be left behind for which anti-septic and antibiotic dressing has to be done and a repeat examination and if required drainage has to be done after 3 to 4 days. Well, there is a good chance that some pus might be remaining in your case, I advise you ask your doctor to open up the stitches and re-explore the wound.

| 

How far should I space the use of Avenova spray and Cliradex wipes on eyelid?

Query: Hello doctor, I am starting Avenova spray and Cliradex wipes for my eyelids, which have blepharitis and MGD. How far apart should I space each one? I do not want to irritate the eyelids.  Read Full »

Can I use C Sora ointment if I have a fungal infection?

Query: Hello doctor,Should I use C Sora ointment (Clobetasol propionate and Salicylic acid ointment) on my face when having a fungal infection?  Read Full »

All About Gum Abscess

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article

Ask a General Surgeon Now