Antiseptic

Is it advisable to close the abscess with sutures after draining?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a boil on my left labia, and I had that same boil for 2 years, because my doctor was saying it will go away. But, it did not, and last week I went to hospital and the doctor drained the boil with anesthesia, and then he closed it with stitches, now it is still hard and smells li...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally agree with you. After draining a boil the doctor should have not closed the skin with stitches because how much ever adequately anybody drains the pus, some pus will be left behind for which anti-septic and antibiotic dressing has to be done and a repeat exami...  Read Full »

What causes a bald patch on the head of a 2 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, My 2 year old daughter has a bald patch on head. It is oval in shape with no hair in it. It is getting bigger time to time. I am waiting for her blood test appointment now. What is this condition called? How to cure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I presume it as tinea capitis or simply a fungal infection of the scalp. Do not worry, hair can regrow again and there is no permanent damage. It is common in children. It is very important to start the following early for best results: Stop oiling the scalp. Oil is ...  Read Full »

Do I need another tetanus shot now if I had one last year?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a tetanus shot last year around June. I had another minor mishap on the road with a small injury (cleaned with antiseptic). Do I need another tetanus shot now?  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The last year's dose is not going to give you any protection now. If any one of the following has happened during the injury, you will need tetanus followup: Injury due to any rusted metallic object. Abrasion due to contact with the ground or the road. Contact ...  Read Full »

I have a swelling on gums and it bleeds when I touch. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I woke up this morning with this dried up blood in between my upper front teeth and blood comes out when I touch it. It does not hurt, and when I brush my teeth, I can see it move. I have not noticed any changes in my gums or teeth. My gums usually bleed when the bristles of my toothbrush...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like there is a deep infection in the gums in that localized area and there can also be periodontal pocket formation. As you also bleeding on brushing, it further indicates towar...  Read Full »

I stepped on a rusty nail and now it is red and sore. What is the X-ray diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on a rusty nail in the garage two days ago. The area around it is somewhat red and very very sore. I cannot apply any pressure. I had my tetanus and I am on antibiotics. I had an X-ray with no foreign object found. Then I had a couple MRI scans done in the area. I would like...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI foot shows a considerable amount of localized subcutaneous edema. The visualized plantar tendons do not show any signs of inflammation. No obvious retained foreign body is seen. However, a good antiseptic care is recommended. Keep a check on any discharge from ...  Read Full »

What is the colorless ridge on the roof of my mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, There is a colorless ridge on the roof of my mouth on the hard palate. This thing is troubling me for near about eight months now. It occurs occasionally swells up and burns and then at the end of the day it subsides. It stopped for a month but now again it comes for like a day and th...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks likes a bleb which can be due to trauma to hard palate due to spicy and sharp food. You should stop taking hard and spicy food. Do you smoke or consume alcohol? You should start taking antacids and apply local antiseptic and local anesthetic gel over the bleb. ...  Read Full »

When will my baby's umbilical cord fall off?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is three weeks old and his umbilical cord has not shed off yet. So, his pediatrician asked us to get a newborn screening done. The reports will come in two days time, but I am a hypothyroid patient and his TSH at the time of delivery was 12.690 mcgIU/mL. I am just a little bit ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of delay in the falling of the cord is the application of lots of antiseptics to the cord. Another cause is leukocyte adhesion deficiency.  Please check if the metabolic screen that you have selected will show it or not. Results of the metabolic ...  Read Full »

I got hurt when I was on the hoverboard. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I scraped my skin when I was on my hoverboard. My wrist got attached to the hoverboard tire, and the hoverboard started to spin fast. It hurt really bad. I was bleeding, and the white stuff came out of my hand. I am not able to pick my wrist up as it will hurt. Please help.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. The white stuff is subcutaneous tissue. I think you should visit a nearby doctor for dressing and local treatment. You need to get it cleaned with an antiseptic like Betadine solution or Tincture iodine or Dettol whatever is available. Then get Mupirocin ...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »