Q. I have a nagging feeling and choking sensation in my throat, and I always burp. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 30, 2020

I have a nagging feeling on my throat for more than a month and a half now. It has been worsening as a feeling of choking sensation all day. I do not have a problem swallowing, nor is my throat painful, but the feeling is annoying, and I have a hard time sleeping nowadays. I do not have a fever, nor do I have a cold. I think I have acid reflux, and it is affecting my throat now. I do have GERD, and I was operated seven years back to remove my gallbladder. Before this, I did have a cough that lasted for a month. I am still coughing occasionally, but it is more about removing the stuck feeling in my throat. I have been taking Omeprazole 40 mg, but I do not think it is working anymore. I have tried taking aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide after meals, and it did work before, but now after several minutes, the sensation is back on my throat. I am experiencing chest pain and back pain, and occasional stomachaches. I feel bloated, and my stomach feels stiff when I am touching it. I always burp and all. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you.

#

Thank you for your query. And I am concerned about you.

It is due to gastric reflux disease only.

As you mentioned, you have removed gallbladder. So when you eat something because there is no organ to consume all the enzymes, it hits back, and you get such a choking feeling.

So my advice, along with medicine, you should avoid milk, curd, etc., for a while and intake food in small portions.

Because when you take in large portions, it becomes difficult for the stomach to digest, and immediately you get reflux.

And eat more veggies and fruits they are easy to digest and good for health as well.

Omeprazole is replaced with Tablet Pantoprazole 75 mg twice a day before meal. Try it for the next three to five days, and let see the results.

And please always eat in small portions and do not be hungry for a long duration.

If anything else, you can message me anytime.

|