Q. I took Simethicone 30 minutes back for acidity. Can I take Omeprazole now?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I took Simethicone 250 mg 30 minutes back because my stomach is very bloated. It is now 3:30 AM on a Saturday. Should I take Omeprazole 20 mg for the acidity in my stomach, or should I wait for one more hour? If I need to use a sleep aid like Benadryl 25, at what time can I take it? Please guide me.

#

According to your statement, you have been suffering from stomach bloating and acidity. It is better to take Simethicone after meals and Omeprazole before a meal or empty stomach. But you can take both Simethicone and Omeprazole together. This is because there are no interactions found between Omeprazole and Simethicone. So, you can take Omeprazole after taking Simethicone.

Similarly, there are no interactions found between Omeprazole and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). So, Benadryl can be taken along with Omeprazole. But it is said that if Benadryl is used regularly, it may worsen the symptoms of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) like stomach bloating, indigestion, abdominal pain, acidity, etc. So, do not use Benadryl regularly. That may be harmful. Otherwise, you can take Benadryl along with Omeprazole or after Omeprazole.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

I just took an Omeprazole 20 mg. How long will it take to reduce my acidity? I also have ginger tea at home. Since I took the Omeprazole, at what time can I drink the ginger tea? Please guide me.

#

Omeprazole belongs to the group of medications known as proton pump inhibitors is used in the treatment of acidity by reducing the production of acid in the body. It will take one hour to block the release of stomach acid, and within two hours, it will exhibit its maximum effects. So, hopefully, you will get full benefits within one to two hours after taking Omeprazole.

You can take ginger tea whenever you like. There are no interactions found between Omeprazole and ginger tea. Ginger tea usually helps to reduce the production of stomach acid and soothes the stomach. You can add a little bit of honey to your ginger tea for maximum benefits if you are free from diabetes mellitus.

Take care. In case of any other query, please ask me.

What happens to people who are vaccinated touch their face after touching a surface that have a virus even if they are masked? Do vaccinated people become sick when they talk to a person wearing a mask or without wearing a mask? Can a vaccinated person become sick after going to crowded places and meets people with masks or without masks?

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you want to know what happens when a vaccinated person touches his face after touching a surface that contains a virus. Again, what happens when vaccinated people wearing masks talk to other people wearing masks or without wearing masks in crowded places. You want to know whether the vaccinated people become infected or not. Usually, the main source of transmission by which people are infected by the Covid-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) virus occurs through respiratory droplets containing infectious viruses.

Again, it is quite possible to become infected through contaminated surfaces but the risk is considered to be low. Transmission through contaminated surfaces depends on some factors such as the time between when a surface becomes contaminated and when a person gets close contact with the surface, the amount of virus required to develop infection through the mucous membrane route like face, nose mouth, or eyes, the duration of the presence of a virus on the surface, and the dose of viruses expelled by an infected person. It can be reduced by wearing masks. So, an infected person wearing a mask will spread less amount of virus in the environment.

Again, according to the surface survival studies, a virus may become less effective to produce infection in a person after 72 hours of being stayed on a surface. Again, if there is an absence of a virus on a surface that is touched by a person, then there is no chance of transmission. As I have already mentioned, an infected person wearing a mask will spread less amount of virus and it may not affect any person. Similarly, a non-infected person wearing a mask has less chance of developing infections if he talks or meets an infected person.

If non-infected people keep a distance of 6 feet from other people or the non-infected people spend less than 15 minutes with other suspected people, then the non-infected people have less chance or risk of developing Covid-19 Infections. So, in the case of vaccinated people or non vaccinated people, it will be wise and safe to touch any parts of the body after washing the hands, maintaining a distance of 6 feet from other people and spend less than 15 minutes with others while taking or meeting. Take care. In case of any other query ask me.

If I wear a mask and someone does not or if two people without wearing masks can become sick by spending time for an hour in crowded places? I am confused. Kindly say yes or no. Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query. If you wear a mask and someone does not or if two people without wearing masks spent a time of one or two hours in crowded places, the person wearing a mask or the two people without wearing masks may become infected. But the risk of infections depends on various factors that I have already mentioned. Again, if your body's immunity is strong, then you may not become infected. In a crowded place, someone may spread infections or viruses may be present in the surrounding environments, so it is quite possible to become infected if you do not wear a face mask. Even, if you wear a face mask in a crowded place and many people of that crowd did not wear masks, then you have the chance of getting an infection from the people without wearing masks. Well, you may have done a mistake. Hopefully, you will not get infected from that incident. Be careful in the near future. Because let bygones and be bygones. You have no control over your past. So do not be worried. As you have no control over your future, so become careful for the future. Take care. I am extremely sorry for the late reply. In case of any other query, knock me.

|